Tomatoes etc! Do you avoid them? Have you noticed any difference?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I have been researching tomatoes and RA as I absolutely love them and include them almost every day. Basically there is no scientific evidence that avoiding these foods that some are so convinced add to our problems -  tomatoes and other nightshade vegetables, also some citus including oranges, lemons and grapefruit, however some people will swear that they really do help if avoided.

well the reason I ask now is yesterday I had quite a lot of cherry tomatoes and last night I had the worst pain I have suffered in a long time. Every single joint in my body was throbbing with the worst pain ever, my elbows, wrists, shoulders, hips, knees etc I felt like I had been beaten with a baseball bat. So I can't help wondering - is it just a myth? I do hope so and that it was just coincidence as I LOVE tomatoes and can't imagine my week without any! Fresh they're so tasty and juicy and a must on any salad. Tinned I use in currries, casseroles, keema, chilli, bolognese! How could I manage without them?! Lol 

just wonder whether anyone can comment on this? Tia xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Knock on wood, especially since it's St. Patrick's Day, but I've only had two of the kinds of episodes you are talking about and I literally couldn't even walk to the bathroom. I ended up on prednisone both times until the flare-up was over, but I NEVER want to experience it again. That said, the only way you may be able to prove or disprove a theory about tomatoes for your body is to eat a lot of cherry tomatoes again and see what happens. I have also heard that nightshades are to be eaten in moderation and I've been gluten free for 6 years. I feel the way about green chilis as you do about tomatoes and cannot imagine life without them. I still eat them, but not as much. It seems that if I pay close attention, my body will tell me pretty quickly when something doesn't agree with my joints, like too much popcorn sad Popcorn is another favorite of mine. Hope this helps and good luck.
    • Posted

Yes that is probably the best way to find out. I do hope not though! I also love. Peppers and use 3-4 packs a week. Not bothered about aubergiines though and I only have potatoes now and again. Saying that I also had quite a few new pots last night! Well I shall try a few experiments and see how it goes! Of course everyone is different and what may trigger in one person may have no affect on another. Thanks  for reply x
  • Posted

Hi. Sandy.....I have read and heard all about Night shade fruit and vegetables, but there are also other foods that should be avoided.  It is actually better to know what you can eat rather than what you can't.   You can have , chickem, turkey, duck and fresh fish but only shrimp and lobster  and salmon for ocean.   Sweet potatoes, no regular, no night shade vegetables like tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, corn .No wheat products , brown not white rice.  Quinoa is good. The only bread I eat is a bread in USA called Eziekel Bread which is a flat bread.  If I have to eat wheat it is multi grain or whole wheat. Never, never, never white flour.   Also read all processed foods to see if they contain any of the no no ingredients, because it doesn't take much to throw you off.   I have so many issues indont stay on it, which is terrible.  You know practice what you preach.....but I know a few people who swear by it and are off All meds.   My son also keeps to this diet as he has Celiac Disease and as long as he sticks to this diet he is in great shape.  This spring I am going to try to go on itas I have had it with prescribed meds. And living on pain pills and still feeling miserable.   For five years I have been miserable and have changed meds so much as I have a high tolerance to them and they stop working or else the side effects are horrendous.  But see how it works.....I haven't had tomatoes in so long I can't remember when and I am so hungry for pizza.   But I am in enough pain I don't want to chance it.     Good luck....
    • Posted

So you would say there is definitely a lot of weight behind this theory?! Well I will try harder I think as it will be much better to be witout pain, rather than without certain foods. I have always strongly believed that bread is my enemy! I feel bloated whe I eat it and after an experiment last year of aa few weeks without bread and sugar my weight dropped, I had more energy and altogether felt much much healthier. It is just so hard at times to dind substitutes but well worth it!

note to self - must try harder! Lol 

thank you for your reply! X

• Posted

Hi Sandy, like you, eating tomatoes, and especially tomato sauces such as cooked down tomatoes in spaghetti sauce, have me in so much pain in body joints, I can barely stand it. It throws me inta systemic inflammatory flare that takes me many wks to get past, with the help of prednisone. Im so glad you have shared your like experience.
    • Posted

unfortunately my doctor will not prescribe any more preds going on the basis that the long term prognosis is not good but I worry about the short term, i have just returned to work after being off sick for 18 months as I had to, veing in trouble with my mortgage etc. for the first time in my life. It is killing me though. I am struggling so much and trying to out on a brave face with the help of a lot of pain meds including oramorph which certainly can't be doing any good either. Yesterday I couldnt move from my bed except to struggle to the loo. If it had been a work day I would have phoned in sick, no choice! So it was just luck it wasn't as that would have gone down like a lead balloon. Today I have managed to get out of bed and will now try to get washed and dressed. The battle begins way before I get there, then I struggle until I can leave and sometimes end up in tears and always back on my bed when I get home. I am gradually increasing my hours but dortunately am only part time anyway - 18 hours, 6 a day, currently 4-5 as I am now on my 4th week back, 3 days per week.

well it does seem tomatoes can really add to your pain, so I will have to go back to experimenting! Thank you for your reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.