Tonsillitis is the most painful thing I've ever experienced, nothing seems to be working, help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I'm 15 years old and have had tonsillitis for 8 days now! It started last Thursday with what I thought was a common sore throat, then on Saturday I noticed my tonsils were covered in white, from this I presumed I had a bacterial infection. I went to the doctors on Monday and have been given Erythromycin as I'm allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin. I have to take it 4 times a day for 7 days. I'm on tablet 2 on day 4 and still haven't seen an improvement. I've been practically living off of parecetmol, ibuprofen and gargling salt water. It's really starting to effect me now, the pain from my tonsils and a constant ear ache has led me to tears! I can barely eat, but what I have eaten has been majority healthy and prone to curing tonsillitis. It is starting to get unbearable now!

Has anyone got any knowledge of how long antibiotics take to help?

I've been reasearching but still in the unknown of what will happen to the white spots on my tonsils!?

Also I'm scared to be around my friends after I've finished taken the antibiotics incase I give them it, is it contagious?

This is the first time I've had this horrible illness, and underestimated the pain and discomfort it caused! But now I know what it's like and would not wish it upon anybody! Please help.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

alexis85402 - Are you eating OK now, after the tonsillitis 18 days ago? A trick I use (additional to any help via doctor) is that when unable to eat much, I chop up a fresh tomato (or lots of them) and to each chunk I add a tiny fragment of a clove of raw garlic. The tomato removes strength of garlic taste (which I find delicious). For me, raw garlic helps overpower bugs in the mouth. Tomatoes + raw garlic rubbed into toast with a drizzle of olive oil is delicious part of the Mediterranean diet, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.