Tonsils

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was reading something online and have a  theory.  Who amongst you all have no tonsils?  I know mine were removed at age 5.   I wonder if there is a connection between lack of tonsils and HS? 

Did any of you get skin problems after your tonsils were removed? 

Bev x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed when I was 7. I started to notice the hs symptoms when I hit puberty at 11.
    • Posted

That's very interesting stormy.   My tonsils were removed at 5 and as soon as I hit puberty I got severe acne,  Acne and HS are closely related...

I wonder how many others have no tonsils either?  Bev x

• Posted

I still have my tonsils. Only until recently my tonsils have been giving me issues. I had tonsillitis and strep throat already for this year. I do want to get mine removed because it really sucks. I've had HS as long as I can remember. So I don't think there's a connection for me. This is very interesting though.
    • Posted

Isn't it?   It will be interesting to see what others say!  Bev x
    • Posted

I have just read that tonsils are part of the lympathetic system which help to control infection...mm.  Bev x

• Posted

Doh - meant lympathic x

• Posted

I had mine removed at age 4, started developing mouth and throat ulcers (from peanut sensitivities-autoimmune) after I had my first child at 22 and then developed HS after my 2nd child at 25. Autoimmune issues get worse as you age. I had stopped eating peanuts years ago and the mouth and throat ulcers disappeared. Staying away from nightshades and coconut now keeps my HS away!
    • Posted

Interesting, I get mouth and throat ulcers, multiple at a time, quite often. In the last year I have also noticed that my mouth gets sore with red spots after I eat certain foods like walnuts and pineapple. I am learning a lot of the weird, random stuff I get could be all related to an autoimmune issue.
    • Posted

You definately have food sensitivities then! I never would have realized the ulcers were also autoimmune until I found remission by cutting certain foods out. Think about it... We are really poisoning ourselves by continuing to eat what we are sensitive to and our body is fighting it with autoimmune reactions. No poison = nothing there for our body to fight = no autoimmune reaction!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with ths today ive had it years nd i had my tonsils removed when i was a child
  • Posted

I still have mine but dr wanted to remove them when I was younger because I constantly got strep.
  • Posted

I had my tonsils removed when I was 3, I started having symptoms of HS when I was around 22/23. I've never had any acne problems 
  • Posted

Isn't it interesting that the majority of us have had our tonsils removed or had/have problems with them?   I wonder if these are early signs we are more likely to get an autoimmune disease like HS?  

I wonder how many of the general population have had their tonsils removed or have major problems with them?   I suspect there is a connection based on what everyone has said.  

I did a bit of googling and there is a theory about the link online.  Can't put it in here.  Interesting read though...   Bev x 

• Posted

I actually found this discussion because I was searching for answers about my theory. I had tonsillitis, and strep throat so many times as a child. I never got them removed because for whatever reason at the time I guess insurance wouldn’t cover it. I do know that it was recommended for me to get my tonsils removed on several different occurrences. My first HS flare was at 10. The last time I ever had any issues with my tonsils I was 14 years old. My dad also has HS and doesn’t like to talk about it. I just recently found out. He also told me that he used to get strep throat a lot as a child. So I do wonder if it is related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.