tony 15641

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi im wondering if anyone else takes carbosteine to help sputum thinner to bring up ive been on these 6 a day sonce feb but my sputum still thick cud use it as super glue does anyone else get chest pain mine is there all the time really geting me down would like to know who else suffers like me

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony, sorry that you are unwell. I was recently prescribed carbocisteine. First few weeks I took 6 per day. Now its reduced to 3 per day. In my case it really does thin the mucus, thereby making it easier to get rid of. I was advised though to drink plenty of water as this too helps to keep the mucus from becoming too thick and sticky. Do you have an acapella device? Your respiratory nurse would be able to provide one for you. As for pain in the chest. I get pain in the chest and also pain in my back when I have an infection. Otherwise no pain. Don't know if this is any help but good luck!

• Posted

Hi telescape thanks for ur advice i ave been waiting to ere from physo since feb but still no word i dont ave acapella device just fed up of antibotics ive ad 4 lots since april
    • Posted

Yes Tony, taking antibiotics so often does get you down. I am in the same position. Am taking Cipro at the moment and the nausea is difficult to tolerate. In addition there is the constant worry that we will run out of antibiotic options. That's why its so good to hear from others who can throw a ray of hope when times are dark. Good luck!

• Posted

I use a different thinner & sometimes I take a break. When I start back on the thinner works better. But I cannot recommend my technique since I know my pulmo would scream at me if I shared it with him. A month ago I asked a naturopath if she knew of anything to help BX. She said I should see one of the 7 or 8 teaching masters at the acupuncture school because there were particular Chinese herbs that can help. In the meantime she pointed to something on the pharmacy shelf and said I could try it, she had no idea if it would help, forget the sprays per the instructions, just open the top and swig about a teaspoon. It instantly - almost - loosened things up, but it's far more expensive than my guafenisin tabs. My pulmo would hit the roof if he knew I was doing this, but I now switch one day a week or so to this stuff. My go would also be upset & would say that no one knows what's in the stuff, I'm taking my life in my hands with each teaspoon.

To which I'd reply, "what life?" PM me if you want more info, but remember Tony that I fear that your work history factors hugely into your lung situation and that you shouldn't mess around til you know for sure.

• Posted

Hi Tony , sorry to hear your having bad problems, im on 6 carbosteine a day and as you say i see no effect. im also on the low dose antibiotics three times a week, the amout i bring up varies, and yes sometimes like glue, i do not get chest pain , but get pain in the middle of back and it does not allow me to do much befoe its there again and i have to sit and rest till it goes.do you have a Flutter . or an Acopella, you do not mention these. if yo do not know what they are they are a breathing devise to help bring stuff up,Google it for more info.

take care Pam

• Posted

No pam i dont ave either of those but i will def look into it will try owt if it works thanks again
    • Posted

Hi Tony, if you are not getting the crap up off of your chest it is stuck down there in little pockets and is getting infected . may be this is why you have pain.. the devises the Flutter and acappela either work well , Help you to get the stuff up and out . if you are in UK you should get one free. and be shown how to use it . but if you have to get your own . plenty os utube vids to show you how to use them . good luck .

pam

• Posted

Yes pam im in the uk been waiting since feb to see physo still waiting just seems no one cares any more in NHS but thanks for advice cheers tony
  • Posted

Hi Tony    I take the carbostine myself.    every  week  i would use at least one bottle of it    it costs me 6 euros a bottle      I find it helps loosen up the mucous      Dont think my doc wants me taking it as it can cause stomach problems     but what do you do ?

Regards  Rob 

• Posted

Hi irishrob why do u ave to buy carbosteine thought these wud be free with it being lung dieseas or is it diffrent where u live like ive said im on 6 tab a day but dont seem to be helping i go back in aug see my specalist ope can get something sorted dont know if its bx but everyday im feeling rough or if its other health problems thanks for ur advice cheers tony
  • Posted

Hey Tony,

I'm in the UK and I've got sputum that I said spiderman could use as webbing lol.

I've never been offered a sputum thinner though sad

I've not long started on this board and it's got lost of info that I'm taking to my Dr's and consultant.

The only things the physio have said are:-

Exhale, then quickly breath in threw your nose. Hold for as long as you can, I make it to 10 secs lol, then exhale as fast as you can thru your mouth. They say to do this for up to 3 times. If you can do more, then do it, but stop if you feel lightheaded! It helps to be slightly reclined so you get a full lungful of air. Also to be near a sink as it does bring up the sputum.

They said to lay on my good side at night, with a pillow to help you so you don't roll over. This helps to drain your bad lung.

Also if you're coughing way to much, lay on the bed, head over or near the end of the bed. Place a pillow under your hips to make your lungs on a tilt. Lay there for as long as you need, it SHOULD help the sputum.

So when you FINALLY get an appointment you may have a head start, or tell them you already know this, pee's them off a bit wink

If they tell you something else please let me know as the more we try the more it may just help us.

• Posted

Hi jobiswoman thank you for ur infomation i will try owt to help me get the stuff up yes i will indeed tell physo wat i know dont know if u same as me but sometimes i ave trouble swallowing food make breathing difficult but its nice to get information from someone wat we all suffer with thanks tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.