Tony

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on these tablets for nearly 3 weeks they call them carbocistene don't seem to be helping clear my lungs anyone else been on these does Avington bronchiectasis make you tired

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't think I've used that medicine. But having bronchiectasis does make me incredibly tired. When I'm not dealing with an exacerbation and I am able to work, I spend my off days sleeping. It's a vicious cycle. If I don't get enough rest, my immune system breaks down and I end up sick again. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Tony,

I was diagnosed with BX 2 years ago , and immediately put on Carbocestine tablets 4 daily. They don't exactly clear your lungs as such, but they make the mucuos thinner , which in turn , makes it easier to cough up.

Personally I wouldn't say I particularly feel tired with the condition, if I get a chest infection, thats a different matter.

Hope this helps

• Posted

I was given these tablets about 5 weeks ago. The dosage was 6 per day for the first 3 weeks and then 3 per day thereafter. They did thin the mucus quite considerably....which in turn made clearing the lungs easier. But the hard work of clearing has still to be undertaken daily...regardless! Good luck.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that Tony. I've had them in the past and found them to be beneficial in thinning the mucus which is what they are meant to do. What's good for one person is not good for another so best to see your doctor again. Good luck

• Posted

I'm on 6/day. Not sure they are making a lot of difference, but then I'm hardly coughing anything up. Still waiting to get physio appointment after being diagnosed in December 2016. If I don't hear soon, I'll see a physio privately. I'm seriously out of breath all the time.

• Posted

Hi Susanne

I was fortunate in getting Physio quickly which was some years ago. I think you would be better doing it privately. One you have been shown how to do the exercises you wouldn't need to have more than a couple of appointments. From my experience Physio is wonderful help. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Tony, I am on the carbocitene, I am always tired. I thought it was the BX that was doing it. have you got an acapella devise to clear your lungs.

Pam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.