Tony Burholt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is it safe to take Bisoprolol at the same time as warfarine which I currently take for a pulminary emboli condition? I am also receiving radio therapy for prostrate cancer.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was prescribed both in 2013 when in AF and waiting for a cardiovesion
  • Posted

Yes, a lot of people take both - a beta blocker (such as bisoprolol) and an anti coagulant (such as warfarin) is the normal 'recipe' for people with AF.  It would be wise to check dosages wih your GP or consultant.  Radiotherapy treatment shouldn't affect your prescription drugs.
  • Posted

Yes, it is perfectly safe and quite normal to be taking both medications.   There are alternatives to both as well and you can read here about how well others can or cannot tolerate Bisoprolol, although of course your radio therapy might also make you feel very tired.  

My husband and I both take anticoagulation medication for AFib, and my husband also takes Bisoprolol, although I have now discontinued this as it made me very drained and I have since had a pacemaker as well, and rather than what will now be a lifetime on Warfarin with all its blood tests and dietary restrictions, we now take dabigatran (Pradaxa) instead and have decided the risks are acceptable on balancing quality of life.  You will no doubt have many decisions to make along your way which sounds so difficult at present, but I wish you successful treatment Tony and don't hesitate to come back to talk with the folks here who always give good and considered advice, most having trodden the pathway before.

• Posted

Tony,

I wish you the best of health.

Not being a medical doctor I would  see no problem.  I take Bisoprolol and Xarelto, which like Warfarin is an anti-coagulant - blood thinner.  So far I think I am doing fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.