Too afraid to sleep?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been on 10 mg of cit for a week now and sleep has been an absolute nightmare. I'll doze off for a max of an hour and wake up dazed, confused, tense and unfocused. Sometimes my vision is wonky too. it's a foggy uncertain feeling and I can't even begin to describe how anxious it makes me feel. I haven't slept at all this week. Is this normal for cit?  I've been on it before and never had so much trouble with it...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Yes what you’re experiencing is common side effects , I didn’t have any problems the first time I was on cit but have this time , I’m 5 months in now , the foggy feeling , blurring disturbed vision lack of sleep I creased anxiety are all common side effects, I had those and more ! Yuk !

Hang in there , it will take a while to settle down but the cit will start to help you.

Matt 

• Posted

Hi Danielle

What time are you taking your citalopram? I’m on day 10. This is the first time I have taken cit. they say the first week or two are the worst. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah 

I take my cit at night time around 11pm in hopes I won't suffer side effects during the day

• Posted

I take mine with breakfast. I have dealt with the side effects throughout the morning until around lunch, but I have just been persevering. It is common for them to give you sleep problems if you do take them at night. Although this doesn’t happen for everyone. But appears like they are maybe doing this for you. During the day I can distract myself at work and that helps a little,  whereas at night it’s more difficult to distract yourself from the side effects so it’s obviously keeping you awake. It’s entirely up to you, as you may wish to just persevere with them the way you have been taking them. But it’s worth a try maybe switching to mornings. I’m already feeling some benefit from mine so fingers crossed you will soon too xx
  • Posted

I also never experienced sleep problems the first time I was on Cit, almost 10 years, and then when I tried to go off of it and back on, I had sleep issues. It's awful. You are definitely not alone. I tried various things to help me with sleep, but ultimately I think what helped me most was having faith that your normal sleep patterns will return eventually, and mine did somewhat, although I'm still up and down while trying to get my dosage right again. I also currently take Clonazepam (Klonopin) here and there at night to help my mind settle. It doesn't seem to be quite as harsh or addictive as Alprazolam (Xanax), with seemingly little side effects. I try to take it sparingly, but it does seem to help quite a bit when I am increasing/decreasing dosages. Most importantly, though, have faith that your sleep will return to its natural way, it just takes time and can be quite hellish in the meantime. You are not alone!

• Posted

Everyone is different with meds..for example for me Klonopin did not work...but zanex did...they are both benzos and they are both addictive ..so be aware...take care
  • Posted

Hi Danielle

I think this is one of the side effects with Cit.  I had insomnia last year for a few weeks and again this last month. I know how you feel although I wasn't afraid to sleep. I begged for it.  People say don't worry about it but I know how it is. There may be an add on med you can get but for me 2 didn't work, then the insomnia left. It may for me also have a been a work situation.  I know that when you go back on Cit the side effects can be different so maybe that's what you are experiencing. I listened to soothing meditation, even tried a brandy at night although I'm not a drinker. Brandy relaxed my body but not enough for sleep. I wish I had good news but if it is the Cit, maybe it just runs it's course. 

I wouldn't worry about the vision or foggy brain, that won't harm you and it will probably pass. Hoping you have some sleep soon.

Jo x 

• Posted

Stick with it. Sounds totally normal in terms of side effects!  It may last for another 2-3 weeks.  Stick with it as it will pass and it will be worth it in the end. Its a bit of a roller coaster for the first few weeks. Good luck. Mark x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.