Too hot to sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys,

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions in advance.

So I've been having some sleep problems for a while.

If I sleep on any sort of soft/foam mattress I feel like I'm lying on an oven. Also I can't find a duvet that doesn't make me to hot.

I had to turn my memory foam mattress over so its very hard springy side but it was much cooler.

I then thought I'd cracked it with a nice soft liner for the mattress, the sort you might get in a hotel and then it started up again with me waking up feeling hot (only where my skin is touching the surface)

It's like my body won't get sleepy as it's too hot but the heat feels more internal if that makes any sense. I touch my body when im having this problem and its not that hot

I've end up sleeping on a rubbish mattress with a super thin duvet and jogging bottoms and t shirt which seems to work

This is all fine tbh but when I stay in a hotel or a friend's house I can't sleep a wink as I'm just to hot.

I've been tested to hormones and bloods etc, I would say in very fit and healthy.

I take natural sleeping tablets most night to help me sleep

Has anybody else heard of something like this because I've tried googing it and there's nothing apart from that memory foam mattresses can trap the heat in a cook you but this happens on so many other matresses/duvets it seems something else is going on or do I have some sort of body that has to be super cold to sleep?

Thankyou!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Jimbo, there's a simple solution to that one: don't sleep under a duvet!

They do still make flat sheets and lightweight blankets, you know. I've never been able to sleep under a duvet, except in super-cold conditions. I sleep under a sheet for most of the year, with a light blanket at the foot of the bed in very cold weather. When I visit friends, stay in hotels etc. I take the duvet out and just sleep under its cover.

We all have our own different metabolisms. 

• Posted

I'm similar Jimbob, especially at this time of year the stronger sun ensures the temperature in my bedroom is always above 20C/68F. So once under a duvet I start to get too warm. Never great for a good night sleep. Apparently bedroom temps should always be below 17C/62F otherwise people can get too warm under a duvet. Probably only people over 75 years old and little kids require a warmer bedroom as they feel cold more than most.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.