too many antibiotics.....

Posted , 6 users are following.

bonjour, (my scottish is getting better huh?) sputum sample handed in Tuesday so called by gps for results, no, not in yet, beside which you can't have any more antibiotics as you've had too many recently, pardon me? yes 3 weeks worth which did b*gger all, so obviously they were the wrong ones? so I'm left suffering all weekend with no medication to help at all, apart from inhalers............ I could cry, but my mascara would only run wink (just kidding, I'm a male of the species, honest!) cheesygrin

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear yourtherapy did not work out well   I only do breathing excercies

nothing to physical.

Let the  Scottish come out in you and insist your doctor does something to help

you      stand your ground (if you can get enough breath)

• Posted

I did forget to tell you something my specialidt told me, it sounded good advise

If you do not clear the mucas regularly you will get more chest infections and then the bronchiactisis will progress.

• Posted

https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/document-library/clinical-information/bronchiectasis/bts-guideline-for-non-cf-bronchiectasis/

It seems to me that very few GPs, along with nurses (even respiratory nurses) are aware of the guidelines for non cf bronchiectasis.  Please take a look at page i5  Anti biotic therapy.  A sample should be taken but a broad spectrum ab eg Amoxil should be commenced until the results come back.  Anti biotic therapy for non cf bronch should be for 14 days and is usually a high dose.

I always do my own samples and fill in my own MC&S forms, then I can fill in what day I am on of nebbed Tobramycin.  Then taking a  educated guess, tninking what would my con do now, bearing in mind the bugs I usually grow i.e. HI, strep p and also morax and what they are usually sensitive to.  I 'phone up later in the week to check it's the right one, or not.

I don't know how you manage to wait until the sample comes back - you must feel absolute rubbish.  I know if I had to wait with a high temp I would end up in hospital.

One thing I learnt quite early on in my life is you have to be your own advocate having bronchiectasis.  

There has been a lot in the news, quite rightly about the overuse of abs, but this should really apply to the usually fit and well.  We don't want them - we need them.  We have a love/hate relationship.  

Good luck everyone.  

love cofalot

• Posted

Jeez David, sounds like you have a real idiot there.

The BTS guidelines should be put in front of his nose. Also may be useful is http://cks.nice.org.uk/bronchiectasis. These show the NICE guidelines for Bx including dealing with an exacerbation.

Note the key point: do not wait for result of sputum test but prescribe antibiotics promptly.

Explain to him the simple point that Bx is a progressive illness characterised as a vicious circle of infection and inflammation and injury. If he doesn't get this, insist again and point out that he appears to be too  ignorant to manage your condition. 

Insist on him following a consultants guidelines, if still unsuccessful complain to the BMA. He's dangerous and shouldn't be practicing.

Good luck pal

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.