Too much Gabapentin

Posted , 15 users are following.

Three years ago I started taking Gabapentin of Neurropathy pain 300mg x 3 per day. Now today I am taking 800mg x 7 per day for pain. The doctor doesn't want to switch medication because Gabapentin is "safe". What happens in 3 years from now? Is there an alternative?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have terrible bowel issues the more gabapentin I take. My Doctor raised mine from 3200 mg per day to 3600 mg. My life literally stopped. I couldn't function. No longer able to hardly walk. Felt like I had a nervous breakdown. My pain was already excruciating and it skyrocketed. I was losing My bowels every night and then I couldn't hardly bend without losing it again. Had to quit My job as it became about 6x a day while trying to work. With the pain, hardly able to move  and unable to control bowel movements I couldn't work. It makes Me furious to find out this safe non addictive excuse and while I lol there. Medication took over and ruined My life. I've actually almost died about 5x this past year. Chronicl infections mostly upper respiratory!  This is the nastiest drug I've ever taken. I'm slowly tapering off. It's extremely hard to do and harder when your Doctor doesn't believe you.  Is your bowel painful?  This drug has affected my colon, kidneys, adrenal glands, lungs liver and I don't know what else!!!! Take with care! Sherri

• Posted

Rener,

I just came across this I see it’s 2 months ago, but I’ve been off for approx 18 days and I feel Iike I have to go to the bathroom all the time! This so called safe drug is a nightmare!! When I told my dr about all my symptoms while on it she said she didn’t know why I felt so bad!! Ummm!! I had the same issues could barely walk muscles in thighs still hurt, legs weak, blurry vision etc. you name it I have it!! Drs just don’t get it!! Never again will I take this poison!! Has ruined my life!!

• Posted

That's a high dose they gave you at one time. I'm trying to wean myself off of Gabapentin. I'm taking a herb Call Gaba that's real good for anxiety. You taking such a high dose of Gabapentin too much. I was having withdrawal from Gabapentin I don't like the way it make me feel either.. You just can't get off it like that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.