Too much in a short space of time?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I has my ears pierced (for a third time) about 5 weeks ago. They are still weeping and occasionally bleed but don't seem to be getting any better. I also had my first tattoo done 3 weeks ago, which seems to be healing ok. It was only a small simple tattoo. Then I ended up with toothache and was put on antibiotics a few days after the tattoo which resulted in having the tooth extracted just over a week ago. I was in a lot of pain after a few days and went back to my dentist who said it was infected and gave me more Amoxicillin which I finished yesterday. I have also developed a few large red patches of skin that my doctor says is a fungal type infection so I have Daktacort cream for that. Could the reason for my ears taking a long time to heal, my rash and my tooth extraction issues be due to me overloading my immune system? I am due to have my flu jab next week and worry that this could be a bad idea. Does anyone have any advice or recommend anything I can do to help? The site where I had my extraction is still very sore. Many thanks, Tracey

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Tracey!

I don't have a definite answer for you, I would just be guessing, but I think each issue is unrelated to the other.

If I were you I would hold off on the flu shot for a while, Are you using an antiseptic cream on your ear lobes? I am in the US but use a product called Bacitracin that doesn't need a prescription.  

• Posted

Hi, and thanks for your message

I have been using antiseptic solution on my ears for a bit, but this can be quite drying. I then switched to salt water and now saline wipes. The solution that I got from the piercing shop was rubbish!

I am in the UK and have googled Bacitracin. I don't think we have it here, but the search results came up with a hydrocortisone cream. Would this be the same? It says I need to get this from a pharmacist, so I will pop in to my local chemist tomorrow and see what they say.

Many thanks again

Tracey smile 

• Posted

I'm guessing you have studs and not rings in your ears. Are you keeping them clean and rotated each day? The best way is to have a shower,and make sure your hands are well washed then direct the shower onto your ears, lather them and turn the studs as you shower. Dry very thoroughly and then smother in Vaseline,making sure you rotate the studs as before. Do this daily. I have used this method for several ear piercings that were slow to heal and it worked each time.

I think the problems you have are not related but perhaps better to stop the tattoos and piercings for a while...recommend 6 months at least.

You may be a bit run down. Do you eat a healthy balanced diet?

• Posted

I did have studs originally, but these were very sore so I decided to carefully swap them out for rings a couple of weeks ago (I know I wasn't supposed to do that!). This has improved them and they are now much easier to clean and more comfortable to sleep on. I have been washing my hands with antibacterial soap before I touch my ears to clean them each time and have been using various solutions to clean them - first of all the lotion that I got from the piercers, Dettol, Salt Water and now saline wipes. I will definitely give the Vaseline a go, so thanks for the tip. I have been trying not to use the Dettol too much as it dries them out.

I will definitely not be getting anything else done!

To be honest my diet has been pretty rubbish! It has been worse the last week or so as I have been eating soft 'comfort' foods while my tooth extraction is healing.....I need to have a look at a more healthy eating plan!

Thanks for your response and your advice smile  

• Posted

if you struggle to eat, i recommend soups
    • Posted

You have found that chemical solutions are too harsh and that is exactly why i finished with them and used the shower and vaseline trick. Rings are much better for hygiene. Hate the studs. Hope you soon feel better...all these things seem to come at once dont they?

• Posted

Thanks Marina Dee

Yes, I am finding the rings much easier to clean. Thank you - yes, things all do seem to come at once and I haven's helped matters! Thanks again, Tracey smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.