Too much laxative taken over a week help!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I'm on movicol to help with a bit of a lazy bowl and a few weeks ago I had a flare up which Iv stupidly tried to resolve myself and ended up taking too much movicol now I can't keep anything in. My doctor says I have to try and wait it out and not take any anti diarrhoea tablets. I'm in agony with my belly feels like Iv had a sickness bug is there anything I can do to help with the pain and speed up getting back to normal??? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Try a light diet, no fat, oil, spicy foods or green stuff/salad until it improves. Plenty of fluids, water mainly not juice or fruity things or alcohol. Just eat bland food like rice, pasta, chicken or fish but NOT fried! Hope this helps. rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna UK

Tesco do a diahorrea tabs..theres six in a pack you take two initially and then one everytime you have a bowel movement by the time you get to the last tab you should be ok...

They are called 'Tesco Diahorrea Tablets' consisting of six capsules....best wishes...

• Posted

Mandy has been told not to take any anti diahrrea tabs and to wait it out until it sorts itself out in time. Stomach/bowel have to heal.
    • Posted

For a good reason, this medication contains Loperamide Hydrochloride, which slows the gut down, less muscle movement/contractions, less liquid drawn into gut. If you usually suffer constipation (slow transit, hard stool), this is totally contraindicated therefore, hence the advice of your doc understandibly in theory.

What I don't get is, that Movicol has long left your body (few weeks ago). Why should you not have contracted an actually tummy bug, that causes diarrhea? One who tends to constipation and takes Movicol, is not save of GI infections, that cause diarrhea.

I would not blindly take a medication, that causes slow transit if this was your first problem anyway (otherwise you would not need Movicol to keep stool soft), but I would go back to doc and ask, how come this should be still a Movicol impact after weeks and if stool could get a parasite/bacteria test.

How did he prove this was fully functional still due to Movicol overdose weeks ago and sit and wait ok?

when one does a stronger osmotic wash out of colon for colonoscopy (which is like a stronger overdose version of Movicol), it didn't take us weeks to recover from it. In contrary, back to constipation a few days later. So......

Take probiotics pls anyway daily for months.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Pollyana and Mandy

Apologies for replying to Pollyana and not Mandy...I had the same problem and the Tesco Diarrhoea tabs were recommended to me and the diarrhoea stopped within 24 hrs..I know Mandy should take her gp's advice but they don't always get it right...the problem has been going on for sometime and should have been investigated further....I hope you can get an answer Mandy...best wishes..

• Posted

Hi Sanya. It was Mandy who has the problem not me! I just replied with some advice which works for me. rolleyes I agree about the pro biotics though, I take live yogurt, not pasteurised, every day now.

• Posted

Sorry.

I think Mandy reads through everything anyway.

As to live yoghurt,

yogurt made from pasteurised milk has live cultures in it, too. It doesn't need to be unpasteurised since it get's 'contaminated' with the right, healthy cultures. I would never risk non-pasteurised products (unless I had my own little farm, hygiene in place and regular utter/milk bacteria testing) and self boiling is by far much more destructive to proteins.

(I am an old lab person, who saw people suffering from avoidable contamination and children dying thanks to unpaseurised stuff.

Of course if human pathogens were not in it in the first place, unpasteurised is no problem, but no one can see that.

That is the risk. My father also drank milk directly from their cow's utter and never got sick, but that doesn't mean it is always save just because many are lucky and get milk from not human pathogen infected cows.

As soon as it is pooled milk, it becomes a high risk for e.haemolyticus, listeria...)

But adults can decide for themselves once informed. Children is a different topic and I become very passionate (not to say mad due to experience) about that.

• Posted

I buy Greek Total from the supermarket. I'ts live yogurt made from pasteurised milk. I don't think they sell anything like you mentioned here in the UK! It's perfectly safe and I've been eating it for years since I used to have bowel problems which improved with time and greek live yogurt. I'm 73 now and not had Listeria or anything else like it. Thanks for your info anyway.

• Posted

PS, it also has pro biotic, live cultures. I recommend it if anyone has a poor digestive system.
    • Posted

ah, sorry,

I read 'not pasteurised' in your original comment. biggrin

Of course Greek Yogi from pasteurised milk is completely fine!

There was some misunderstanding. Sorry.

• Posted

Love, love, love probiotics!
  • Posted

Probiotics, Metamucil for both diarrhea and constipation, chamomile tea, no dairy, no red meat, cooked veggies, keep a food diary to see watch foods affect you. Have your liver checked out.
  • Posted

I agree with Sanya Mandy, a few weeks is a longtime to be blaming the movicol.  You need to have another consult and look at other reasons you may have diarrhoea.

My nearly 4 year old grandson has a lazy bowel and other issues and takes movicol and lactulose daily.  If the dose is altered even slightly it's obvious the next bowel movement.  For him it's constipation/impaction, it illustrates how quickly the meds do their job.  There is no way movicol would stay in the system for weeks.  Get checked out properly.  Don't take anti diarrhoea meds it could just make you worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.