Too much or too little acid!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all

From what I've been reading there are two schools of thought regarding acid reflux. One stating that it is caused by too much acid, whilst the other argues that it is actually too little acid leading to bacterial overgrowth whereby food sits and ferments in the stomach.

Im only two weeks into my PPI medication and was wandering that the correct clinical pathway to treat GERD should be not to issue PPIs immediately but to perform PH testing first. I have silent reflux and I have no idea whether the PPIs are helping. If someone has low stomach acid and the second school of thought happens to be correct then medication will only make the problem worse. Any thoughts on this anyone?

cheers

S

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

With regard to the baking soda/ HCI test I assume that you would need to be PPI free for a few days to perform the test.

I've had to up my prescription from 30mg Omeprazole to 60mg Lansoprazole as I've had heartburn everyday for about 4 months. I had a bio resonance scan which said to drop all sugar which I've done. At the same time I've increase gaviscon advance to after every meal. This has stopped my heartburn but it's difficult to know if it's the reduction/elimination of sugar or the increase in Gaviscon is the reason why.

I'd like to reduce the PPIs now that the heartburn has gone (I only get a bit of a dull ache now and then). 

Cheers

s

• Posted

I often temporarily increase my PPI and then once it settles down go back to my normal dose.

That is how we found that I needed to take 30mg of Lanzoprozle every day as we started at 15mg. Sometimes I do increase to 45mg for a few days if I have a flare up

hope this helps

• Posted

Hi

I see this post was 9 months ago, so I am wondering if you have sorted your problem out.

I too have been reading some symptoms are due to low stomach acid. I mentioned this to my doctor in fact two doctors and they just dismiss it and say no that can't be the problem. I have had stomach pain for 4 months and ppi's are making no difference. Dr just keeps saying try them for another month. I have read as one gets older, I am 55 low acid can be  a problem, so could this medication be making my problem worse?

• Posted

Hi

I had a Ph and manometry test done. They showed that the sphincter, although not extremely high, was working ok and that I was getting chest pain during the presence and absence of reflux. The consultant thinks it's done to anxiety ( funny how I didn't have any of this prior to me endoscopy). Anyway he put me Amitriptyline and it has alleviated most of the pain. I'm not pain free. I still have pain if I eat the wrong thing and e.g. now as I've just had a decaf coffee, but it's better than the constant pain I have been having. I'm probably 70 % better. I'm off to see the. Insulting in about 2 hours so I'll see if he'll up the Amitriptyline or leave it as is. I'm on 30mg day of Lansoprazole.

For about 2/3 weeks prior to going on the Amitriptyline I went PPI free to see what would happen and I fact I was no worse off. 

I've seen a nutritionalist that just said that I was borderline gluten intolerant and also recommended that I go dairy free. she also put me on Glutamine MSM, for the stomach and soy lecithin.

i feel that I'm slowly improving but it's still depressing having this condition.

One thing I notice is that sitting in a car can set of the reflux? 

Good luck everyone and try and enjoy Christmas.

cheers

Sean

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I tried skipping the medication for one day and ended up with heartburn, something I never had prior to taking the ppi's.

I have been suffering a little with anxiety which i believe is down to the menopause.

What is Amitriptyline? I think seeing a nutritionist may be a good idea.

• Posted

Hi 

you have to ween yourself off the PPIs over a time period depending on how long you've been taking them. You can also, when getting heartburn, take other stuff such as Zantac.

Amitriptyline is actually classified as an antidepressant but my consultant said it was found to have pain relief properties. I've looked it up and it does seem to be the case. A few people I have spoken to also have taken it to relieve pain. Maybe talk to your GP about it. I'm only on 10 mg per day so not a lot.

i hope you feel better soon.

cheers

Sean

• Posted

Hi Sean

How did you wean yourself off? I did think of trying one every other day, 

I'm pleased the Amitriptyline has worked for you. Have you changed your diet at all? I will mention it to my GP

Best wishes K

• Posted

There is no way I would stop taking my PPI without medical advice. Why? because you can't see the damage being done to your insides by the acid. Under medical supervision they can confirm that the PPI is no longer needed.

I have learnt the hard way that just because you don't have any pain, doesn't mean you don't have a problem and are not doing damage which could be far worse than worrying about the small possibility that a PPI may have an adverse affect on you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.