Too Much, Too Soon!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, 

My partner recently had the CT op in both hands. On Sunday he went to pick up a bigish pan full of water to move it and his hands been in really sore and swollen since. He won't go back to the Doc, the stitches aren't due out until Friday. Has anyone else experienced this, do you think I should insist he goes tomorrow if it's still bad? Or might it be ok if he actually just rests!?

?Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've had both done now and currently recovering from my 2nd. He shouldn't have done anything heavy with it for at least 6 weeks. Rest elevate and ice if swollen. Any lifting of heavy objects, pulling and pushing should he avoided for a few weeks.

• Posted

as shelly said he should not have done anything heavy. My suggestion is to wait. Alternate between heat and cold. Take anti-linflatory medicine like Neproxen (Advil) and rest it. Wear the brace often and especially at night.
  • Posted

I would rest it. Was told post-op not to push, pull or lift. Had both done last Tuesday and things are going good. Stitches out yesterday, exercises began after visit with PT at surgeon's office. Will be back to work as ED RN on 4/16. Good luck!

• Posted

It seems for post op we are getting told conflicting things. The surgeon told me to rest it, no exercises and no splint too. I've just rung up this morning as I'm concerned about the increasing pain in my wrist, they are going to get the surgeon to call me when he's free to see what to do. In the meantime I'm told to still rest it and take pain relief.

So frustrating the length of time on this 2nd op. Got 3 weeks left of my sick note and I'm not seeing any improvement. By that point it will be week 7. I guess it's just taking a longer time to heal or worst case scenario is something isn't right.

• Posted

Yes it instructions vary depending on the surgeon. I was told that I need to wear the wrist brace at night for a full month. Currently almost done week two now. I have no pain I do have some discomfort in the form of an itchy numbness. It is centered mainly in my thumb but is also around the incisions. I had two. One for carpal and the other for a trigger finger. It is at night that you do not have control enough to rest the wrist withouth the brace.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.