Too old to have Coeliac Disease?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on the Slimming World diet for the past year and am now at my target weight. This has meant that I've eaten very little bread. I'm now eating more - often a sandwich at lunchtime - and am finding that I have very painful trapped wind - a burning sensation - maybe an hour after eating, which makes me feel quite unwell.I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago, but that has been much better over the past few months. At 72, am I too old to have Coeliac Disease? I do have another autoimmune condition.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi no you are not too old, it could be that your IBS is actually CD or perhaps it has flared up for some reaon. I would go to the GP and ask for a test. good luck with it, hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'll take your advice and have a word with my GP.

• Posted

Hi Cheetah. Definitely not too old. I'm 69 and received the diagnosis two months ago. I too have another autoimmune disease (PMR) and have presumed to have had IBS for decades. Unfortunately, previous GP's have never bothered to do the simple blood tests for celiac. I'm on the wait list to have the biopsy to confirm the diagnosis, but my blood results were off the scale for a positive diagnosis.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that your blood test was positive, Jean, but it's good that it's finally been picked up. I hope that things improve for you.

• Posted

Thanks Cheetah. I hope things get sorted out for you as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.