Too soon???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.  I fractured my ankle on 9/9/15, exactly 3 weeks ago today.  Broken right distal fibula with ligmaent damage that required surgery.  Had my surgery on 9/17/15...metal plate put in with 7 screws.  Yesterday (12 days later), I had my post-op visit.  The doctor took off my cast (splint), removed the stitches, then gave me a walking boot.  He said to keep the boot on, but I can take it off whenever I'm sitting with my foot elevated or when I take a bath.  He also said I should attempt to move my foot up and down slowly.  Also, I start physical therapy this Friday.  I went back to work today, and frankly my ankle felt bad all day...mainly from swelling I believe.  

So my question is, does this seem awfully quick to already be in a walking boot and starting physical therapy.  Thank you all...I look forward to reading your stories as I'm sure it will also help me on the road to recovery.

Eric

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

By the way, althought I have a walking boot, the doctor still wants me to keep weight off my foot for at least another 3-4 weeks.
    • Posted

The boot should be on for at least 6 weeks.( day and night for first 4 weeks)  Dont think of going back to work for 6 weeks,instead keep foot raised and min weight bearing.

I found Crocs a good shoe to wear with speacial insoles and socks.

Warm water excecises in the bath and ibrofin 600 mg in the morning first thing together with ankle massage with skin cream.

Good luck Mr Ankle 

• Posted

Thanks for the tips.  Unfortunately 6 weeks away from the job isn't an option, but luckily I sit at a desk all day and can elevate it.  

I just woke up, and this is the 2nd night with the walking boot, and it's very difficult to sleep with it on.  The top of my foot gets painful even with taking percocets right before bed.  I had to take the boot off in the middle of the night.  

• Posted

Hi I think you should not be weight earring yet. Are you using crutches as well.? I had an ankle replacement . In walking boot 12 weeks although I took it off at 8 weeks . You can take boot off when your leg is up. & going to bed 

• Posted

Correct, I'm not weight bearing and I am using my crutches.  Just concerned because it's not protected.  I mean I guess it is when I wear the walking boot, but the boot is painful to put on and take off.  I was just surprised to come out of a cast after only 12 days post-op.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.