Too soon! Son experiencing pain in right hip

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm getting ready to leave the MidWest to return to Hawaii. Son is planning to relocate in August, so I was going to come back in July to help him. 

He seemed to be recovering well from LTHR - until yesterday, when he woke up with pain in the RIGHT hip, which hadn't given him any trouble before. The MRI from a week ago showed that AVN is present & spreading in the right hip. I know most of you on this forum do not have AVN, but my reading shows AVN leads to OA.

My question is: Does OA usually progress this fast?

Son had no pain at all until August 2015.

Now, I'm so worried. I don't know whether to go or stay if he needs psychological support. 

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Soos

So sorry things are not going so well for your son.I am awaiting my 2nd hip

to be replaced and before and even after my right hip was replaced I had no

pain whatsoever in my left hip.Then after 3 months the pain just hit me in my

left hip I could not believe the exact pain I had had with the right hip.I have now

come to terms that I have to get the operation but still shocked at how quick

this pain came on as I had no pain before.My operation was a complete success

and hopefully the next one will be the same.regarding you leaving your son for

a few weeks is only a decision you as a mother cam make as you know how

much your son will need you or will he be OK on his own with the pain etc.

Sit and have a wee chat together and I am sure between you the correct decision

for you both will come to light good luck with that as no one will know your son

better than his mum.Take care and kind regards to you both☺

• Posted

OK Helen, you're making me a bit weepy & I'm mostly a hard case who doesn't crack. 

I do know my son and he won't want to gamble that he'll be in the 25% who get relief from the core decompression when he knows RTHR is in his future. He will be heartened to know the Fosamax, Boniva, Aclasta might help. I'm going to hope he can do that part on his own while I go home for some weeks and try to recognize his father, my husband.

What's really bad is son has fewer realistic choices now. I know he wants to be independent, but...

So it all depends on whether this pain that just started at week 7, one week after the check with the surgeon, has increased in the couple of days he's been away. He'll be back tomorrow, and I'll know from his face how he really is. 

Life is not for wimps, Helen.

Thank you for your kindness and caring. Aloha

• Posted

Hi Soos sometimes wee as mothers need to step back and let them

make there own choices it's not easy but then others need you as well

and you cannot be in two places at the same time.You will be there for

him and he will know that so if he needs you a return to him can

always happen quickly.Remember to take care of yourself as you need

rest while trying to be strong for everyone it's not an easy job this being

a mother!!!! kind regards and keep us posted on your son's recovery☺

• Posted

Hi, Helen. He is home and asked whether the surgeon's office had called. I told him to sit down and gave him the information I'd found. He can take the truth, it's just that the timing has to be right. He thanked me for my research and agreed that he would not want to go through the needless pain that other procedure means, only to end up getting a RTHR. The pain is now constant in his non-op hip. Not sharp, but nagging. He asked me to call the surgeon in HNL to see if he could get a consult while he's there for the conference (which means he IS going!) But the earliest opening is first week of June, when he'll be seeing surgeon here anyway. Many complications, as he will need to leave here by mid-August.

Thanks for your encouraging words, Helen. How soon will you have your next THR? 

• Posted

Aloha Soos,

That is good news !! At least he is wiling - 

Not so good is the pain he is in - it is like a nagging tooth ache that just won't go away, Soos and  to be honest, no pain medication can relieve this completely - this on top of the other hip healing makes it challenging - I know, I have been through it - 

I am not sure if I understand it correctly... is the surgeon he can see in the first week of June is the surgeon he saw before or the one in Honolulu? 

and when is his conference ?  things are moving in the right direction - 

when  are you leaving? 

big warm hug and good night

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

Son is going to talk to his GP before calling to cancel the CD. They have not called him about a surgery date.

Unsurprisingly, he is sooo unhappy about the right hip.

I know, complicated. Surgeon he's seeing in June for followup is the one who did the LTHR in March. 

Idk whether he's going to the conference - he flipflops back and forth about it. Conference is mid-May

I leave next week.

Renee, I'm thinking of you,

Aloha

• Posted

between a rock and a hard place huh ? 

I wish I had something wise to say - not to you (you are a wise wonman ) but to son - but I don't have any ... i know how it feels to be in the body and feel the constant pain - it sucks life out of you - I was forced to move in between the surgeries and had no energy or interest  - felt like crying and wanting to just disappear forever - 

but ...... It fell all into place - 

sending angel love and blessings

renee

• Posted

Aloha, Renee!

Yes, moving is right up there as one of the critical events in life that can make or break you - birth, death and marriage are the others. I guess many of us have been through all of those. 

Hang in there, Renee, with all that you are going through. I would say, YOU are the Wise Woman, as you always have a kind, cheering or insightful word for every one. 

Mahalo, Soos

• Posted

hi,my name is Michele. Could u tell me what all the abreveations mean. I need both hips done. And i hope soon. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Michele,

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies - we are coming in all flavors and stages and share our personal stories and experiences -

so sorry to hear that you need hip surgery - you cam to the right place though -

Not sure which abbreviations you need right now :

OA = osteo-arthiritis

THR = total hip replacement - L  left, R right

Please refer to:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147-

scroll down and find A layman's Guide ...

a website created by our fellow member Graham, aka Rocketman

You can also start your own discussion and ask question , okay 

in the meantime, 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Sorry I didn't get to this, Michele. I'm sorry about your hips. Please start your own discussion with questions so you'll get lots more responses. To add to lovely Renee's reply:

AVN is AVascular Necrosis, where the blood supply is cut off, causing bone to die. 

In OA - Osteo Arthritis, the cartilege wears out. Bone grinds on bone.

Both painful

CD is Core Decompression. We are NOT doing this because although surgeon gave son a 60% effective rate, we do not have a surgery date, so in a month or so, deterioration would likely decrease, so less effective. And more pain and recovery than THR.

So son is going to need RTHR, and who knows how soon - he is in pain now. 

Best to you, Michele. Let us know in your own post how you're doing? Aloha

• Posted

Renee, I'm going to have to call you Miss Aloha Hippy as you have picked up the ball (ball joint?) when I dropped it. Mahalo plenty (local Hawaiian slang for thanks loads) for your answers to Michele!
    • Posted

Aloha Soos, 

That is such an honor ... I am sure that I was Hawaiian in many a past life -

( I even have proof) - when I visited the islands (many times) I felt like coming home - And it was the only place where nobody asked where I was from .... oh, and June 11 when it is King Kamehameha Day, is my birthday !!!  wow - I was there a couple of times on my birthday and felt like a queen -

So off topic, I know ...

I am not sure when you are going home but would like to wish you safe travel -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Mahalo, Queen Renee - OMIGOSH! I MUST remember June 11!

I am up waaay too late talking to son and telling him I'm glad for the time I spent with him and discussing his conference paper. Not sure I can wake up in time to make my plane! TY for the bon voyage!

• Posted

Hey soos

To let you understand l though l had pulled a muscle in my groin and went to doctors they agreed and was sent away l went on for a few months more l still had this pain it just seemed to get steadily worse over 4 months and l was only getting pain in my left leg my right leg felt fine. All of a sudden in a few week the pain went from being bearable to me crying trying to put my clothes on l cld not walk hardly without being in terrible pain. Went straight back to doctors they sent me for an xray and the next week l was told both my hips needed replaced as they were bone to bone and l needed them done asap or l would be in a wheelchair. I still had no pain in my right leg so l could not understand how l needed the 2 done then all of a sudden the pain started on my right to it was instentanious so yes it can happen very fast. In the space of less than a year l suffered 9 months of OA pain in 1 leg then it suddenly appeared on right l had my 1st thr 9th of dec the same year it happened and the 2nd done on feb 15th. So had both hips replaced in the space of 3 months.

Laura xx

• Posted

Laura, mahalo for the explanation. The best thing that could happen for son is second THR ASAP. He showed me his convo with GP & they are pushing the core decompression. But of course, they have not had this & gone through the pain and 6 mos to year recovery only to end up needing the hip replacement. I know my son and he told his GP NO.

Getting on a plane in 13 hours, so I've got to get some sleep...

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Sorry, Laura

That sounded really abrupt. It's almost 2am here & I'm beat.

Wishing you the best - days with less pain!!!

- Soos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.