Too young to have VA?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently turned 40. For years on and off I have had vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. When I think back I have had episodes of this in my 30s and maybe even in my 20s. I did manage to have three children in my 30s without much trouble. I could only breastfeed for few months each time so I Don't think that is the culprit. Things have been bad since I was pregnant with my youngest, who is almost four. I have many of the symptoms of VA/low oestrogen except for the menopause factor. I do use a NuvaRing for birth control but I have tried not using it for several months and my periods were still regular, as much as they ever were anyway.

The GP prescribed Ovestin. I used it for about four months with no change. She has now referred me to a gynaecologist. I am in London and I will go private but it seems like many of the doctors are just salespeople for Mona Lisa Touch. I'm willing to do the MLT if it's right for me but I want the doc to consider all options.

Am I too young to have VA? Any suggestions or thoughts about what I should do? You ladies seem so knowledgeable about all of this and I'm feeling pretty lost. Thanks for reading this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

look for a facebook site called Vaginal Atrophy, you will find lots of knowledge and support there. It's a closed group so you can discuss in confidence.

• Posted

Laura, I just looked and found one that said VA "community" but there's only a post of a photo of a street sign. Can that be what you mean? I'm not a big FB user...obviously. Even this site confuses me.

• Posted

I just turned 44 and have been dealing with VA for a year now. For the last 4 months I have been using Intrarosa vaginal inserts and estrace on the outside which has really seems to help. I also still have monthly periods and during that time I am pain free but right before and right after is when it seems to flare up, my gyno has suggested using bc patch to stop my periods to see if this helps (stay on the patch continiously until my body starts spotting then take the patch off for a week and have a period then back on it). I wish you the best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.