Took a nap and woke up to complete loss of hearing in left ear!HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

61 years old and health. Walk every day. Drink or two every day. and a puff of mother nature. Busy day Friday doing honey do things around the home stead and lay down at 2:30 pm for a quick nap. 5:00 pm I wake to sounds of my wife getting home but something seems very odd. I get out of bed and find my self swilling and waving and falling back on to the bed! I Yell to my wife but only half of my voice echoes out into the world. Happen March 1st now March 9th can't see Doc tell March 13th.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Most confusing elaboration on here yet. Reads like the ramblings of a Madman.

• Posted

That is exactly how I felt! Bottom line, took a nap woke up with my left hearing turned off. Any help?

• Posted

It sounds like you are having trouble with the inner Ear, perhaps a blockage in the Eustachian Tube (the drainage line from the Ear to your Throat). Normally this could occur after a heavy cold or even a Throat infection. This could be what caused that dizzy spell when you got up from bed, A build up of wax is the common cause of hearing loss, but would not usually affect balance. As this came on all of a sudden, rather than creeping up on you, I would like to believe that it could be remedied without much trouble. You don't mention any current pain or ache nor any discharge, so it does not sound like an Ear infection. Do you have any allergies that could have cause a temporary swelling to your Eustachian Tube? This symptom should go away on it's own or you could try a decongestant to help speed things up or a strong menthol could kick start things into working normally again. If you find things are still giving you problems or things feel like they are getting worse, your Doctor should be able to prescribe something that will get you hearing again. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I have had no cold or throat soreness at all. No pain or discomfort except for the inner sound of a rushing, hissing sound.

• Posted

Hi! It's good you have an appointment at docs - do you have tinnitus with this? Or no sound at all? I am not completely deaf in my bad ear - but I do have tinnitus- which has been proved not to be wax related. It's something not to be ignored. I saw my doctor who referred me to ENT - but in the mean time I had a hearing test done for free at Specsavers as I wanted to see if a hearing aid would help - they said I needed to see ENT - so they were really helpful as at least I know I am not wasting anyone's time. Hopefully it won't be anything too bad for you - but very glad you are getting this checked out!

• Posted

I can not hear any sound, but I do hear in my ear a rushing, hissing sound that is steady.

• Posted

Hi!

The hissing sound is a type of tinnitus - some people hear a whistling sound - mine is more of a hiss too - like being between radio stations! I tried using otex before I saw my doctor in case it was a wax build up - which didn't work. My hearing loss in this ear has been fairly gradual though - my husband and daughter kept telling me to clean my ears out as I kept mis-hearing them - although I would say the hissing has been a recent thing for me. Luckily I do not find the hissing so bad it stops me sleeping - in fact it helps! I lie on my good ear and the gentle hissing in my bad ear cuts out other sounds. I also suffer from random dizzy spells sometimes - especially if I move suddenly or walk on uneven ground - but your body does adjust in time. I tend to fix my gaze on something and sit still for a minute! Hope the doctor can help!

• Posted

Thanks for the fed back. I see the Pro's tomorrow.

• Posted

You might have an acoustic neuroma. (?) A brain MRI could be ordered by your doctor.

Or you could have gone to the emergency room that first day. They would have ordered one. Maybe.

• Posted

Thanks, but my hearing was complete and just like a switch was turned off. What you mentioned says starts with a slow loss of hearing so it does not apply.

• Posted

Mine was lost overnight. It started acting up the afternoon before when I got up from a nap (I was 59 at the time) plus a bit of dizzyness. By 3am I woke up with no hearing on my left side and acute vertigo. AN's are not cancerous, but are not a walk in the park either. People on this forum have had anything and everything between them related to AN's. I hope that is not what it is, but my view is that if a person has insurance, not to go small time on picking a neurosurgeon to consult with. I got a second opinion as well.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Can you please explain what you mean by a AN's, and that they are not cancerous. Is it a tumor?

How do I use The Private Messager?

• Posted

OK! Update!

After ENT doctor visit! I have the following possibilities...

1. SLH Sudden Loss of Hearing. Treatment Steroid injections and pills. 30% chance of recovery.

mean while ..MRI of ear for possible.....

2. Tumor it grows along the acoustic nerve and effects hearing. The tumors are a very rare genetic disorder that causes non-cancerous ( benign ) tumors.

So, today I got my first of three steroid injections behind my ear. But really it was in my ear. He numbed my ear drum, then introduced a needle into my ear penetrating some where or through my ear drum. Then laying there with my head tilted for 15 min. Two more injections to go a week apart. Praying for a miracle.

Will keep you up dated

More information available by checking responses and looking for AN's Acoustic Neuroma info given by member.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.