TOOK A YEAR TO FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG

Posted , 2 users are following.

I HAVE SPENT A YEAR TELLING MY DOCTOR,THE THINGS THAT ARE WRONG WITH ME. HE JUST SAID\" IT'S YOUR AGE NOW YOU ARE 50\". I GOT TO STAGE MY HUSBAND HAD TO DRAG ME OUT, SO DEPPRESSED & 2 STONE LARGER, I HATE MY BODY. BUT LAST WEEK HAD BLOOD TEST

AND ONLY THIS MORNING GOT RESULTS. THANK GOD! HOW GOOD IT FEELS TO KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. IT IS A (UNDERACTIVE THYROID) NOT MY HEAD.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

[b:50be320f65][i:50be320f65]Hi, I know how you feel, I too spent ages complaining to my doctor about my throat, only to be fobbed off with excuse after excuse, eventually on visiting a different doctor blood tests were arranged and my underactive thyroid came to light.

It took a while to get the correct dose, and my symptoms have eased but its never really the same and you have good and bad days. Although reading others problems on here I do feel quite fortunate as i do not suffer as much as some do.

Hopefully things will be on the up for you now, will take a while to kick in, some say 18 months before feeling better and others say a couple of months, but at least you are on the right road now and as they say \" the only way is up\". Good luck.

[/i:50be320f65][/b:50be320f65]

• Posted

Hi there

I was complaining for ages at the beginning as I couldn't get up for school and this was getting a severe problem as I was so tired I couldn't function what so ever!!!!! My GP said I was depressed and as it was I thought no way, more to this than that as I was having problems with my weight too and so I went to the nurse and said I want a blood test and as I did, my thyroid level results came back very low, this was 10 years ago......

My advice to anyone if they feel lethargic, weight problems etc to insist on a blood test!!!!

Kind Regards

SES

• Posted

ive had an underactive thyroid since march 2007,i was told my thyroid is under control now but i still dont feel right i take 100mg a day,i feel really depressed and i feel like im moaning to my doctor all the time.
  • Posted

Hi there

I have my blood tests every three months to check if my levels are right, I would make an appointment to see your nurse to get an up to date reading, as my readings have fluctuated and so either a reduction or an increase has had to be made........ after all we know our own bodies, and if you suspect that you are not getting the correct meds then it is your right to inquire!!!!!!

Take care and I hope you feel better soon xx

SES

• Posted

Most doctors only do the blood test yearly and if you ask before your year is up then you are told its too early.

I am only able to have my thyroid test once every 12 months and i think that is fairly common throughout Britain.

• Posted

Hiya

It is still your right to request a test done as thyroid disorders can fluctuate and if you are on the wrong amount of medication then it can cause all kinds of bother, just google it by simply putting \"taking too much thyroxine\" and you will find out!!!! then put your findings to your GP if he says no to your test!!!!!

Hope you get support in this, I have had thyroid disorder for ten years and I can say I have blood tests approximately four times a year????

Take care and I hope you feel better soon x

SES

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.