Took celexa for 9 days. Doc told me to stop cold...

Posted , 5 users are following.

turkey. Days after, I started feeling depressed and having horrible thoughts. So I fought those feelings for a month or so. Finally gave in and started back on the tablets (Citalopram 20 mg). Now on week three. I'm wanting to get off ghis drug. Best way to wean off without horrible withdrawals?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dubry, I have sent you a reply to your message to me on another thread.

The best way to wean off these is very slowly by small doses. You can purchase pill cutters online. The problem you could face is you have not given them a chance to work, plus with the regular dose changes you could get lots of side effects.

So the way to do it to reduce the side effects is to settle on your existing dose, then drop slowly. Alot of patience is needed.

I went the tough route and have paid the price with being signed off work for two months and having to literally stop living. I want to warn people out there by me doing that, I had some really awful thoughts about wanting to end my life. Thankfully, I knew that would happen, so could handle it, and had huge support from my family. So please be careful as these meds are serious. Am not trying to scare anyone, I just think that knowledge is power and can assist getting through this.

• Posted

weaning off celexa is different for everyone there really isnt a one size fits all.i know that you will experience weird and bizarre side effects from starting or weaning and perhaps even while you are recovered.if you are struggling with anxiety and your anxiety symptoms have been magnified by the celexa thats just how this med works and time is of the essence with this med. as in months not weeks wether withdrawing or stabilizing on this drug.

• Posted

weaning off celexa is different for everyone there really isnt a one size fits all.i know that you will experience weird and bizarre side effects from starting or weaning and perhaps even while you are recovered.if you are struggling with anxiety and your anxiety symptoms have been magnified by the celexa thats just how this med works and time is of the essence with this med. as in months not weeks wether withdrawing or stabilizing on this drug.

• Posted

Thanks for replying lois. so youre saying to stabilize at my current dosage(20mg) then start weaning off to minimize withdrawal effects?

• Posted

so dont you think you should be on this medicine until you feel those symptoms you where having disappear.or do you feel worst on them?just be careful with playing with this medicine it can cause all kinds of weird and bizarre feelings in your nervous system.

• Posted

I was put on Cit for anxiety. i started on 20mg and still there. my anxiety has gotten some better, but still there. maybe give it til spring and then start tapering?

• Posted

you have to give it until you are 100 per cent recover.than see how you feel.some folks taper then go right back on them because the withdrawals or discontinuation symptoms where too much.so its all up to how you are feeling .if your anxiety has gotten some better trust and believe if you keep at it you will feel 100 percent better.

• Posted

I highly recommend not rushing. Stabilise, and then stay there for ages, give yourself a really good long time of feeling a hundred per cent again, (talking a year plus), before you try to come off.

I've learned from personal experience this year that yo yoing on these meds is just not to be done.

Best,

Ruth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.