Took Citalopram for 3 months Now on Ecitalopram 5mg (Help Advice needed)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I use to take Citalopram 10mg i took them for 3 months for panic attacks and anxiety but medicine gave me horrable side effects and i was not feeling right. 

Then my GP switched me to Ecitalopram 5mg and told me to come back after 4 weeks for review now i am on day 13.

My first week was ok but secound week i feel panic and have anxiety and worried all the.

Any advice help please or please share your experience. 

Regards.

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Hope everyone is ok.

Update on my situation is i'm still on 5mg and third week finished yesterday starting fourth week today and i have very bad constant anxiety/panic from last week and still sad 

Making app with Dr this friday hopefuly i can drive that day coz my dr clinic is 15km from my place. 

Side effects should not slow down by now???

• Posted

Everyone is different Ali, but see what your doc says on friday. If you feel a bit dodgy driving, please get someone to take you - don't risk driving if you don't feel right. let us know how you get on on here. xx

• Posted

Thanks looloo hope you are doing well and had good weekend.

I still have 5 days to go so finger crossed my forth week is finishing on sunday but decided to see dr on friday. Maybe 5mg is not enough dose for me or maybe they are working as you said anxiety can be increseed for the 2 to 3 weeks but it will show improvement in 4th week. 

best regards looloo smile x

Ali 

• Posted

Hi Looloo hope you are doing well I'm bit ok tomorrow as i told you about my app should i ask Dr for 10mg as i'm on the lowest doese...?

Regards 

Ali X

• Posted

Hi Ali. two things; just to check are you taking your escitalopram in the morning?  & have you given it 4-6wks on the first dose yet? x

• Posted

Yes its going to be 4 weeks this sunday i use to take med at 5pm but from last week i am taking it after my breakfast...?

X

• Posted

my doc & pharmacist said its important to take it in the morning when i started it,  so glad you are doing that now. personally i would give it another couple of weeks max (so 6wks) which would also allow for you not having taken it at the right time of day for the  first few weeks. I would still discuss with your doc tomorrow, & see what he thinks though. you should tell him you've only just started a week ago taking it in the morning. you could maybe agree with him to carry on on 5mg in the morning for next 2wks then arrange a telephone appointment with him when the 2wks are up to discuss going up to 10mg at that point. it's also how you feel too - you know yourself better than anybody, & whether you start to feel improvement. 5mg is a very low dose so you probably will have to go up to at least 10mg, so do express what you think to, I'm only talking from my own experience with it & to keep initial side effects to a minimum.  do keep us posted on here how you get on. x

• Posted

I will defo ask the Dr and going to tell him the whole situation if in case he increase the dose 10mg side effects are not going to be hard as i am taking 5mg at the moment my knows the medicine....???x
    • Posted

Hi looloo,

Just came back from dr and he increased my dose to 10mg and told me to come back again in weeks and he said to take the medicine in the morning.

I'm bit worried about anxiety now coz of dose increased dose any suggestion.

Regards,

Ali x

• Posted

That's good Ali. Try to tell yourself that you EXPECT you may get a TEMPORARY increase in anxiety while you get used to the increase in dose, & that it's OK, it will DISAPPEAR soon, its NORMAL to have these feelings. i have emphasised some words there, to try to get you to absorb positive aspects of what you're trying to tell yourself if the anxiety increases a bit.  I had an mri scan this week & the stuff i had to drink before to distend my bowel & show up my insides  said a temp side effect could be diarrea, bloating, vomiting & wind - so I was EXPECTING this to happen - although i wasn't looking forward to it, it reduced my anxiety as it was not going to come as a surprise - just something very unpleasant to haveto deal with TEMPORARILY. i didnt vomit, but did have terrible diarrea, bloating, stomach ache & wind until about midnight, but the positve is - it was temporary & i didnt vomit!! hope you get what I'm trying to say, & it helps with any TEMPORARY increase in anxiety you MAY get while you get used to the new dose. keep us posted on here how you get on. take care. x

• Posted

Hi looloo and thanks again for the support and positive words and guide much love smile

I started my forst dose on 10mg at 9am today so far i'm ok i know its been few hours lol but giving myself hope that side effects will be less and improvement will be coming soon.

I will update you on regular basis and ask for advise if thats ok with you. 

regards,

Ali smile x

• Posted

Of course it is Ali, if you need any advice or support just post on here. take care, try your best to stay positive, & good luck! xx

• Posted

Ho looloo me again sorry I'm bothering you all the time I have been taking my 10mg dose first today's were ok but third day is like hell chest pain left arm pain and neck and jaw constant pain dizzy head. My heart was checked 3 months ago and everything is ok with my heart but today I feel like I'm going to have heart attack or something it's stuck in my mind sad

Regards

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ali. you're not a bother - don't worry!! It's normal to feel a bit dizzy/sort of more sedated initially when you up dose, but I don't recall having chest pain, left arm pain or neck & jaw pain. to be on the safe side i would make an urgent appointment with your doc today (surgeries usually have a duty doc for urgent same day appts) to get them to check you out. try not to worry, just get yourself checked by the doctor. let us know on here how you get on . x

• Posted

Hi looloo lasttime i had a chat with Dr about my chest pain he said all the tests are done on my heart like stress test and then CT Coronary Angiogram everything was clear there is nothing wrong with my heart. 

X

• Posted

It's kind of same feeling when i started Citalopram 4 months ago but i was thinking Ecitalopram is bit easy and has less side effects. 

My major problem is Anxiety and Panic Attacks. 

• Posted

Personally if it was me Ali, I would just check with my doc by seeing him as I don't recall those kind of side effects. Its upto you though. x

• Posted

Ok I will be calling dr reception now and see if I can get through to him and I will let you know. X
    • Posted

Hi looloo my gp was away but i called one of my friend he is Dr and psychiatric consultant he told me this is side effect it will take 1 to 2 weeks to settle down.

x

• Posted

that's good Ali. best to get re-assurance. take care & keep us posted how you are getting on here. best of luck . x

• Posted

Hi looloo hope you are doing well.

Yes my gp is away for few days so that's why I contacted the my friend and he told me it's normal and side effects should slow down from 1 to 2 weeks I need to give some time to tablets to adjust coz I was on 5mg now on 10mg it's double the dose I was taking.

I will be back again soon.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi looloo smile

Hope you are doing well smile i am ok some good days some bad days anxiety/panic but it's nearly 5 weeks on 10mg hopefuly i will feel better soon.

Ali x

• Posted

Hi Ali.  Hope you are having more good days than bad now.  as you've had 5wks at 10mg, if you don't feel "your normal self" again yet, you could always discuss with your doc about increasing to 15mg day (you can get get 5mg tablets too so a 10mg plus a 5mg).  take care, & all the best. x

• Posted

Hi looloo thanks for reply smile yes its 5 weeks now but i fell bit down again from last few days this time i got mt tablets from but same tablets Ecitalopram 10mg but manufacture is diffrent.

But since i start taking them i feel anxious and panic or is this a blip what do you think...

Thanks X

• Posted

Hi Ali.  i have had a few different brands of escitalopram over the 4 a bit years I've been on them, but i didnt find it made a difference to me.  you can ask the pharmacy you collect your meds from to only give you one brand though if you want to.  i did recently with my hrt - wanted to stick to the same brand as hrt is a very sensitive med anyway(hormone replacement therapy for peri/menopause) . personally i would talk to your doc asap, & see what he thinks about the brand change & poss going upto 15mg now.  take care  Ali. x

• Posted

Thanks Looloo again for the reply smile i ask the pharmacy they said its the same only diffrent company. 

I will ring my Dr on monday for app hopefuly i will get it for next week to see if he aggree to put me on 15mg. 

Best Regards X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.