Took double evening dose of Tegretol by accident!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I usually take 800 mg daily of Tegretol (4 x 200mg). I forgot that I'd already taken my evening dose, so have taken 1000mg today. Is this serious to the point where I should contact a doctor or hospital out of hours, does anyone know? It's 11pm here in the U.K. Or should I just sleep it off?

Never done it before and not sure what to do. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Sasha

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry about it at all. Go to sleep tonight and start your usual dose again tomorrow. If there were any adverse effects (extremely unlikely at the sort of doses you're on) you'll be asleep anyway.

I could jump from a maintenance dose of 600 to 890 per day and go to 1400-1600 if I suddenly had a severe breakthrough. It made me feel very "woozy " but that's all.

Don't worry Sasha, you'll be fine.

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Thanks Big D, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you replying so quickly. That's really nice of you!

I hope you're recovering well from your MVD. I was reading all your posts today on the TNA site. Excellent posts and very helpful.

I hope all is ok with you and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Sleep well.

Sasha

• Posted

Sasha - I would call your pharmacy immediately and they will be able to help you.  If this cannot be done, call poison control.  If this all fails I would definately go to your nearest emergency hospital.  Hope this helps.  I also have TN but am not familiar with this medication.

• Posted

Sasha - my apologies.  I am new to this group and failed to read your earlier post.  Please disregard.
  • Posted

Hi, this morning I took, accidentally, double dose of tegretol, which makes my daily intake, 600 mg. Usually I take 1,5 tablet of 200 mg.carbamazepine. Did not go anywhere for help, did nothing, went thru it OK. Now I am little scared, don't know what to do for evening dose.Please Help, ASAP.

• Posted

You are OK. Just take your next normal dose at the usual time. It takes some time for the blood levels to stabilise anyway. If you had intended to take double dose regularly, it would take a few days before you noticed the effect. 

Sleep well

Cheers

Big D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.