Took prednisomne for 2 days and still experiencing side effects, is this normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I took a prescription of my moms that was for the inflammation in her neck due to arthiritis. We have both taken prednisone as we both have issues with our sinuses. We have both had aspirin sensitivity but can take it now due to aspirin treatment, when that fails over time, usually it peaks and we have to take prednisone for a short time then start aspirin again. I thought I would avoid a trip to our nose doctor and just start the prednisone regimen without consulting the doc which I should have first. The prednisone I took are 20 MG tablets TL 125, prescribed to take 1 20 MG tab twice a day for 4 days, did that regimen for only 2 days due to some weird side effects I was starting to have including trouble with some thoughts, off balance feeling and headache, also feeling tired, I only took one pill Saturday then after that I stopped taking them. I am still experiencing a constant headache and my balance is off, like I’ve been drinking or something but obviously haven’t. Is there anything at this point I can do? Or do I just need to ride it out and wait till the prednisone leaves my body? Please help! 

Normally when we are prescribed the prednisone it is the 10 MG tablets which makes a difference. I thought for the stuffiness I’ve been feeling the past few months that I could just take it on my own but I know it was just a bad decision on my part sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi ashlyn

No good 'growling' at you but as you now know best never to take any drugs without doctor's script for YOU. Still it would be surprising if you had ongoing 'side effects' from such short term use. Serious problems with Prednisone withdrawal are usually about longer use and require very slow reductions or tapering in the level of the drug as your body has to 'learn' to start to produce its own cortisol again. In your case your adrenals will kick back in quite normally. So try not to worry - probably just a residual response to taking quite a big dose.  But if you feel unwell for much longer and worried about it you should go to the doctor as other things could be going on and you might just want to be reassured

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks for your response. Today is day 3 of not taking any and I still feel the slight off balance feeling, and like I can’t think completely straight and back of my head feels tingly in spots. It’s the weirdest feeling I’ve ever had and Every other time in my past that I’ve taken prednisone has always been fine I never experienced anything like this. 
    • Posted

As I have suggested with others here - best to seek advice from a doctor if you continue to feel this way,
  • Posted

If you normally use 10mg - why did you decide to take 20mg? That is a high dose! It could account for some of the effects but as Rimmy says, they really do not usually last long after stopping the pred and you only took them for a couple of days so there is no adrenal effect to worry about - that takes a couple of weeks to become a problem.

The headache and stuffiness could be linked with the balance problem - and really, I think you need to tell your doctor and ask their advice. And fess up about taking the pred too.

• Posted

I know, I wasn’t thinking, I thought with the dose she was given was what we always had been prescribed. 
  • Posted

Something else could be going on, you need to get this checked out if you keep feeling like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.