Tooth abscess.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been in hospital for two weeks having a wisdom tooth removed due to an abscess which had infected my ear canal, throat, eye socket and adjacent teeth. They operated to remove the tooth but they didn't get all the infected tissue so they had to operate again. I put it in writing that I had AS with c 2,3 and 4 discs affected. They gave me the wrong antibiotics also and I wrote it down that I was allergic to all of them except Erythromycin. I had a serious allergic reaction and now I cant think straight as I think something went wrong with my neck. I have neck pain and shoulder pain too. I have been on IV Tramadol for a week but now that has stopped. and I am at home. I need advice on this please. I'm feeling very down.  G

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your situation. If you are on biologics that might be hindering you from getting over the infection.
    • Posted

Hello Lilly, no I am not on any biologics. Can't understand why this has all gone so bad. But I live in Indonesia, so we don't have biologics available here as far as I know. Thank you anyway for replying to my post.

• Posted

YES any of the biological drugs and methotrexate will hinder your immune system receptors. Your recovery will take a longer time than normal people.

The neck and shoulder pain may? be attributed to lying on bed for a long spell. A chiropractor may help with that.

Hey Gloria U are over the worse part....their are many people in worse situations than yours. Keep a POSITIVE attitude!!!!

Watch a funny movie, read a book, call your best friend and tell him/her U need an boost for your feelings.

• Posted

Hello Jim, maybe I am over the worst of it but it has been a frightening experience. I am a very positive person usually but this has set me back as it would most people. I am not on Methotrexate and never have been. I think the neck and shoulder pain is caused by all the pulling and pushing required to get the wisdom tooth out. Probably muscular. I have had A.S. for many years and use a wheelchair. I still do many chores around the house and keep a strong mind about pain and disability. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with something like this. But thank you for replying. I'm sure you just wanted to help.

• Posted

NP.

Biological help me tremendously. ..but yes the downside is comprised immune system.

• Posted

So you are not on methotrexate or biologic that is why the AS is bad but I’m on both and have constant gum problems...I may need to have teeth in back extracted....and I have chronic pain not super bad, in my ear frontal sinus and jaw on the left, now the right is bothering me
    • Posted

Hi Donna, the gum pain has now almost gone but still a little sore. Someone suggested something unusual for me to try. Either crush some Turmeric ( fresh ) or use the powdered variety. I use white turmeric mixed to a paste with some lemon or lime juice. Wrap a little in gauze and put it right on the tooth or gum area and leave it there for twenty minutes or so twice a day and rinse your mouth with slightly salted water. It works so well that now after two weeks from being home after the operation to remove infected wisdom teeth...it's fixed and I can eat and talk properly again.My other teeth feel better too. Try it, it works for me. I live in a remote part of Indonesia and the local people use this remedy for toothache and all sorts of other infections too. Hope it works for you.

• Posted

Wow good job treating that with the tumeric, wow what kind of healthcare do you have there? We have good healthcare but it’s terribly expensive...I have to get my biologic directly from the company so you might try looking on line
    • Posted

Hi Donna, our health service is nothing like in the "West" we are constantly looking for alternative ways to heal ourselves and our patients ( I run a free clinic for the poor here ). I recently read that long term pain medication will cause tooth decay and gum problems. In fact one woman had all her teeth fall out ! I'd like to find out more about this, does anyone know more please. Read about Turmeric on the "net" and other alternative remedies for all sorts of ailments. Here I once treated a cow for a broken front leg with a splint of split bamboo and lots of padding under it with an Ace bandage on top. It worked..ha..ha..Then daily massages with coconut oil and she was soon on her feet again. Wish we could do the same for ourselves. I feel like I need a full body splint sometimes. Let me know what you think.  G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.