Tooth ache, taking amoxicillin for two days but pain is getting worse

Posted , 56 users are following.

ok I have bad teeth. I went finally to the dentist and he said I have an infection in my bone under my bad tooth. I have been referred for removal of the decayed tooth. They prescribed me antibiotics 500mg of amoxicillin three times a day but I can't sleep, eat, or really think. I am taking ibroprofen and cocodamol regularly. No effect really, I am using clove oil, not that it helps. Anyway I just need to know if this pain will stop anytime soon? 

I now have swelling on the inside of my mouth in the roof of my mouth, it hurts to touch. 

Should I go to a and e? Is there anything I can do? My dentist is not open till Monday now. He said the antibiotics should work over the weekend but I am scared I won't make it through the weekend!,!.

help!!!

7 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Toothache can be one of the most painful conditions you can suffer. Painkillers are the best to deal with the immediate symptoms until you can have it attended to by a dentist, but for more information please read our health information article at https://patient.info/health/toothache?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=reply

• Edited

i know this article was over 6 years ago but last Thursday i had a wisdom tooth out however 6 days on i was still in pain so went back to the dentist who prescribed amoxicillin for 5 days 2 days on and im still in pain The tooth is healing well but im in terrible gum and jaw pain. Maybe im being too impatient but i hope it goes away soon. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar

• Posted

I had my wisdom teeth out & my gums & jaw took a while to heal & I'm going through the same thing the girl who posted 6 yrs ago went through, right now too.. Ouch!

started to have pain in tooth at back of my teeth, got really bad had a night of really bad pain that cocodamol & ibuprofen didn't help stop. Phoned dentist 1st thing Monday morning only to be told i couldn't get appointment til 2:30pm the next day! has a night of agony had to ring 111 & nearly drive myself to A&E as the pain was so bad. 111 gave me phone number for local emergency dentist who told me there no dentists available through their service! But advised me to ring dentist to demand to be seen, which i did & was given an earlier appointment. 10:30am was so relieved to be seen! Dentist said I needed a root canal but would have to be done later in the month but prescribed antibiotics. Started taking them right away but the pain that day was horrendous so horrendous i had to ring 111 again as I was in so MUCH pain! They said the antibiotics would kick in soon but it couldn't happen quick enough! All of a sudden the pain stopped! I was so relieved! Just to be out of pain! But then my jaw area got rock hard & now my face has swollen & can hardly open my mouth.. but I'm not in pain! Thankfully! Got a doctors appointment that was already made for something else, so hoping he/she can check my mouth etc today to reassure me its all ok! i can vouch toothache/infection is the worst pain ever! Antibiotics are miracle medicine!

• Posted

poor you i really feel for you

i finished the antibiotics but now had a lump where the gap should be healing. it feels very gel like and im just wondering if i should see dentist again

• Posted

Okay so

I've been going through the exact same thing.

What you need to do:

He needs to prescribe you Metronidazole 200mg (3 times a day with the Amoxicillin) and you can also take Paracetemol AND Ibuprofen at the same time. But if you do that don't take tablets that contain a mixture of both as you could overdose (and we don't want that)!

Don't use any numbing gel as it will damage your swollen gum. If you need to get this taken out as an emergency it could be more expensive. Luckily for me after 10 days of agonizing pain the course of 500mg amoxicillin and 200mg Metronidazole allowed me to have painless days and painless nights. Personally I still try to stay awake as long as possible so it's easier to sleep but if you are busy you can't really do that (I'm only 16).

So to summarise, go and get 200mg Metronidazole prescribed to you, if you ask your dentist he will probably do it for you. For pain you can take 1 Aspirin a day, Paracetemol 3 times a day and Ibuprofen (I'm not sure how much of Ibuprofen since I don't take it due to Asthma)

Good Luck and I wish you the best 

• Edited

I need a root canal treatment done but it hasn't been easy to afford. My dentist prescribed amoxicillin trihydrate 500 MG every 8 hours. This worked and I was pain free for 2 months. But of course, the infection returned and so did the overwhelming pain.

This time, the Amox wasn't doing diddly, and the mix of Panadol, Brufen, and Codeine I was shoveling into my gob I think gave me a UTI.

Amoxicillin just isn't strong enough to fully deal with tooth abscess at such low doses, even though dentists prescribe the standard 500mg/8 hours.

To clear the infection up asap the dosage is 3 grams amoxicillin at once, followed by another 3 grams 8 hours later. This will mean swallowing a total of 12 500mg pills. This is exactly what I've just done and the pain is completely gone. My body can now detox from those painkillers!

• Edited

I need a root canal and the dentist also prescribed amoxicilin and ibuprofen 600 and to take a tylenol if pain is too much but sometimes its not helping i started yesterday can you tell me how mucho did u take for pain and how long does it take for pain to go away.

• Posted

I'm going through the same thing,my pain started saterday morning after i had 7 teeth pulled,thought it was dry socket but it was an infection,my doctor prescribed me amoxillion 500mg 3 x day toradol a pain killer,and metronidazole 250mg another antibiotic,he needs to add another antibiotic and pain killer,this one of worst pains I really feel for you.if you can go to a clinic bring your prescription,and a doctor can prescribe pain meds,and more antibiotics.I wish you a speedy recovery

• Posted

Hi sarah I too taking amoxil and I am worried it's working as my teeth is giving me hell,hope your stop already though

• Posted

I think you must stop taking amoxicillin if you feel that amoxicillin is not really effective at all. 
  • Posted

The pain is from the swelling pushing your tooth and it's nerves out of it normal place. I only recommend this in extremes situation. And make sure your swollen area in your gums or mouth are very visually apparent. If you can't see the swelling don't do this!!!!!

Sterilize a big needle, or a small pair of surgical scissors and puncture the effected swollen area with finesse . Ooze and blood will be released and the pain will almost immediately subside. Use a oral sterilizer, good mouthwash, through out the the day. You might be able to save the tooth.

• Posted

I know this is an old thread - but for others looking at this post I had something similar. I had terrrible toothache as was prescribed antibiotics for an abscess. I was given metronidazole?.  It did take a good couple of days to take effect.  I started taking on the Tuesday midday and started to feel better by Thursday.  It's now Sunday and still fine. I still have another coupe of days of my prescription to go, but not got appointments for my root canal treatment for another week, so fingers crossed!

?While I was waiting for antibiotics to take effect I found co-codimol and ibuprofen (Lysine - it say for period pain on the box, but ignore that!) and would get a couple of hours relief.  Clove oil made it worse!!! Dental Gel (Oralgel?) made no difference to the pain but numbed my mouth so no help. But using a warm salt water mouth rinse was very soothing. I also 'slept' (or tried to) propped up and with an ice pack wrapped in a tea-towel to relieve my hot puffy cheek from time to time.

• Posted

Gee, I feel for you all.  I had a toothache 3 weeks ago that began over the weekend.  It got so bad, that nothing would help the pain.  I had to wait until Monday where a dentist on call (my regular dentist was on vacation) referred me to an endontist that afternoon to determine whether the tooth could be saved, and to clean out the infection.

He cleaned out the infection and gave me 'Amoxicillin' (along with medicine in the canals that he saw after he drilled.  It was determined that this tooth could not be saved (no root canal) because of all the bone that was lost beneath it.  I saw the X-ray and there was bone compared to the adjacent teeth.

But at least the pain stopped that night while taking ibuprofen.  My dentist told me to have it extracted as soon as possible, but for the past few weeks it has been feeling fine (even tho it is very slightly loose).  I don't have the heart to have the tooth pulled because who knows; it might not bother me for a year OR I might get another infection tomorrow!!!  So, I'm putting off with no problems so far, but I know it will flare up again.  I just hope it doesn't happen on the weekend!!! 

I do have an appointment with my periodontist on 10/10 (for a consult).  If he thinks I will be able to have an implant put there (it's a big tooth) I will have it extracted at the next appointment with him.  Meanwhile, I chew on the other side of my mouth and have faith that this tooth will stay calm over the next month.

One doesn't know what it likes until you have an abcess/infection but it sounds like you all do!  I DO have some extra amoxicillin left from a previous time, but I don't know if I should take it.

• Posted

What worked for me, for pain was two 500 mg Tylenol every 4-6 hrs along with two 500 mg ibuprofen about the same. Amoxicillin 500 mg three times per day. Each day provided improvement. Good luck.
    • Posted

hi I need a root canal and taking amoxicillin 500mg and ibruprofen 600 mg tylenol 500mg can i take more cause i still have pain and how long did it take for pain to stop. How many mg did you take in total?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.