Tooth extraction 3 days ago, still in agony, please hlep

Posted , 7 users are following.

Any advice would be welcome as I’m in so much pain.

I had my bottom back molar extracted on Thursday because I was had reoccurring tooth ache in the area due to gums overlapping on the tooth.  They numbed the area and took the tooth.. it was fine whilst I was numb, but about one hour later it started to wear off, and that’s when the agony started, I was literally rolling on the floor in absolute agony about 1 hour after it had completely worn off, and I have been in a lot of pain since, I have been using the strongest pain killers I can get hold off as they didn’t give me a prescription for anything. My face has also been swollen since a few hours after I had it took and is now pulsating and really painful, regardless of painkillers which I’m taking every 4 hours. My jaw and surrounding area is so sore and swollen. The socket looks strange, it has a film of white/cream over it and some blood, but there is a few holes in the film aswell. I don’t know wether this is normal, and if so when will this agony stop??? I have a small baby and I just can’t go on like this, I called 111 today and was told to get an appointment at a local dentist but they didn’t have any so I have to wait until Monday to get an appointment at the dental hospital. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would go and a and e even if just for some decent pain relief. They should have a maxo facial doctor on call. Bring baby if nevessary.

You should not be in that much pain.

• Posted

Hi de08377,

Phone 111 again.

According to their advertisements they should be able to put you in touch with an emergency dentist as well as emergency doctors.

I had a tooth extraction last December and ended up with an abscess and a dry socket because I tried to be stoical and manage on my own because I didn’t want to trouble my Dentist. 

I do hope you get the care and attention you need. 

Are you on antibiotics?

Is there any odour to your tooth socket?

It is essential that the little blood clot remains in your socket to promote healing from the bottom of the socket to the level of the gum, but don’t take my word for this please seek professional help again. 

I know how hard it is to cope with dental pain and to have a baby to look after on top of everything must be really difficult, so I really feel for you. 

Hopefully by ringing 111 they will be able to put you in touch with an emergency dentist and you’ll get the care you need. 

Good luck and Take care

With very best wishes

Jane 

• Posted

Hello, 

I had my bottom wisdom teeth pulled over a week and a half ago.  The first couple of days i was fine.  Then the pain started to get worse on the left side.  I was taking pain killers every 6-8 hours.  I went to the dentist 4 days after the surgery just to make sure everything was fine and it was.  Some people just heal differently.  the white stuff filling in where the tooth use to be is normal and is tissue building back.  Yesterday was the first day that i haven't had to take a pain pill and this morning i feel great. You may also have dry socket and in that case you will need to go back to the dentist for them to fix. 

Best advise i can give is keep it clean!  Keep an ice pack on your face to help with the swelling. 

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

This sounds horrible. My dentist told me to take 2 tylenol and 2 advil for the pain of my root canal recently. the tylenol helps the pain and advil helps the inflammation. it works for me, but wears off... also, ice your face where the swelling is.

you could possibly have an infection, based on this amount of pain and the doctor may recommend a course of antibiotics - which they did in my situation (i developed an abcess, but a different issue). be very assertive and go back to your dentist first thing when they open. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.