Tooth extraction

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had 2 teeth out aweek ago then got a infection in the gum went back to dentist put me on antibiotics been on them 3 days how long do there take to work

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

a week you should start feeling better remember the more sleep the better it will heal so try sleep or nap during the day to help speed up the process. smile
  • Posted

Whenever I've taken antibiotics they've taken around 3 days to show an improvement.  If after 4/5 days there's no improvement I would personally check with your doctor/dentist. I also gargled with salt water when I had a tooth removed to keep it clean.
  • Posted

Hi David,

sorry to hear of the infection in the gum, the antibiotics are usually a 7/10 day course and they must be completed. when I had my tooth extraction and other treatments I hAd 4 sets of antibiotics BEFORE AND AFTER MY DENTAL TREATMENT and the last course was a different type of antibiotic  was very effective and it really did work, iam pain free and infection free now 5 months, so give it some more time and if any more pain after the antibiotics are completed please go back to your dentist, good luck

• Posted

Hi again, I agree with Maria that you should finish your antibiotic course and as she stated they are usually a 7/10 days course.  Please also bear in mind though that the more antibiotics one takes the more the body becomes immune so be careful when taking too many.

I take antibiotics for a lung problem and my doctor normally changes the antibiotic after 4/5 days if the problem shows no improvement.  Obviously everyone is different so if you are concerned you must go back to see your dentist/doctor.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi David,

Yes I agree as  when I had my tooth extraction, root canal and a crown removed one after the other I was on 4 sets of antibiotics and it was the last set  I was put  which were different to the others it was called   co amaiclav  and that was for 7 days that really cleared the infection and when I had my check xray all gums and teeth were cleared  but indeed too many antibiotics of the same type with no improvement warrants further investigation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.