Tooth Extraction today....still got abscess

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a small bit of root left in my gum so dentist did extraction today as an abscess showed up on x ray. I am keen to avoid antibiotics as they severely affect my other health issues. I can still feel the abscess ....will it start to come away naturally now the source of infection has gone ? How long will this take..I expected it to have gone once the tooth was removed. thank you for any support

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It will drain away but more slowly than if you had taken antibiotics,i would use warm salt water to wash your mouth a few times a day...hope it clears up soon
  • Posted

thank you lou1962 for the helpful info. i always thought the dentist had to "lance" the abscess....she didnt do anything to it at all just removed the tooth and said abscess should go.....i do hope so, i can actually feel the abscess more now than before i had the tooth removed. i will definately do the salt water rinses and fingers crossed !  many thanks
    • Posted

If you feel its getting worse or more painful today,phone the dentist back and see what they say ..
  • Posted

Yeah warm salt water should do the trick try to keep the area as clean as possible this means salt water rinsing at least twice a day... even more if you are capable and it don't become an annouance anything that gets inside could make it worse so try place a swab over it sometimes when smoking or something. And goodluck smile
    • Posted

Thanks I will definately keep up with the salt water..its very soothing !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.