Tooth ligaments

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. Had a root canal and a post and crown fitted to a front tooth.

However 2 months has passed and its still sore,painfull if I bite on it there seems to be a pulsing throb behind the tooth.

Went back to dentist twice and had x rays etc, was told that its tooth ligaments and should get better in time.

Any thoughts its been 2 months

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Worth asking to see X ray in case the post has been drilled out through the side and not straight down the canal. Not a dentist but think if its pressure it is down to the post, as crown is sitting on it as well and it is taking your bite.
    • Posted

Hi.

Dont think thats the case. Dentist took impressions after root canal and crown came with post fitted to crown from the lab.

X rayed a few times since.

• Posted

That is different as I have had many Crowns and normally the post is cemented in then an impression is taken both of the tooth and the teeth surrounding, so that the crown is then made and cemented in place later.  Did you get any pain when temporary Crown was fitted ?. Could be the actual Crown is pressing on the tooth or I have been told an air lock in the canal can cause a problem. Hope you get it sorted, but if in doubt get another Dentist to give a view as you can spend a lot of money and still have to have it extracted and either a false one or implant put in.
    • Posted

Yes. I think a second opinion is needed.

However I understand that the crown and post cannot be removed.

No problem with temp crown, but dentist had to tug and grind it off.

Thats what I think the ligament damage came from

All ok today, but when I get up quickly or walk downstairs I have a pulse sensation from the tooth.

• Posted

Mike, Normally the crown is ground away to leave the post, as in my early days it was acrylic / plastic crowns before the stronger Procelain crowns came in. Any temporary ones I have had have been taken off easily just by grinding down one side. Think you are on the right track for a second opinion. I recently went to a Dentist for quotes on implants and they told me I was not cleaning my mouth properly and I would have to pay £500 for tests and a first Hygiene appointment followed by additional costs to have teeth cleaned under local anaesthetic. Next Dentists Hygienist told me that if everyone kept their teeth as well as me should would be redundant. Thats' what makes second opinions worthwhile and we cannot see what they are doing and have to trust them.

• Posted

Yes thanks a second opinion in the new year, Anyone else heard of tooth ligaments causing this type of problem 2 months after treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.