Tooth pain after filling replacement!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had an amalgam filling replaced in a wisdom tooth with a composite filling a couple of weeks ago.  I was having two fillings replaced and when numbed, work on the other tooth was fine, but when the dentist set about removing the amalgam in the wisdom tooth, I had extreme pain!  Never fun to be drilled on when not fully numb!  So, the dentist injected me again, but when he resumed work, I could still feel it.  I opted to push through and get it done rather than cap it and try again another time.  I regret that decision!

In hind sight I think I'd been having a niggling sensation with that tooth, occasion ouchiness with chewing on hard stuff.  I forgot about that prior to this procedure.  I'd had a consult with another dentist for the same work and he took pictures of my fillings and I believe this tooth was one that had small cracks radiating outward from the filling.

So, after the filling was placed and I regained sensation, I had extreme pain with chewing!  I went back and the dentist said the nerve was cranky and that sometimes time does the trick, so would I give it to the end of July?  I said ok.

Well, I am finding that the tooth hurts even without chewing, just a general ache. I've also developed a headache on that side.  I've taken ibuprofen and that helps, but today I found that when it wore off, not only did the headache return but I also had a sensation of pain spreading forward to other teeth.  I took one ibuprofen when I got home from shopping and it took care of the pain and headache, but I'm getting worried!  It's Saturday and I won't be able to be seen until next week!

Has anyone here had a filling replaced with a composite only to have pain that resulted from chewing afterwards?  Did it resolve?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.