Toothache when flying

Posted , 6 users are following.

About 6 years ago I had a horrible 3 hour flight with the worse toothache imaginable. Literally tears and no pain killer would even touch it. I think the pain was on a tooth which had a filling but it was hard to tell as the paid was so intense.

I went to the dentist today as I'm taking a 10 hour flight next month and I've been putting the dentist off forever as I'm really frightened! I was told there are no issues with my teeth and the filling where I though the I had pain is fine. 

I've been on 2 really short flights since my horrible one and experienced no pain. Was it a one off? Did I not experience pain on the last two flights as they were shorter and therefore different cabin pressures?  Really frightened but dentist assured me I have no other teeth that need work 

Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi you have my sympathy! I haven't experienced this myself but my friend has and she said it helped to suck ice. It was something to do with bacteria expanding in a minute crack in the tooth that can't be seen. The ice made the bacteria contract and it relieved the pressure and therefore the pain. Worth a try. I hope you have a pain-free flight.

• Posted

I have flown with a severe toothache and it hasn't made it worse. I also once broke a tooth in flight!. But one of my friend(Dr. Pranjali Wamburkar) suggests me two or three days of antibiotics you'll be feeling a lot better anyway and it's really helpful for me, If you want you can contact with her their profile has registered at meddna.

• Posted

hello.. Riise

The origin of Toothache is tooth decay, infection, Tooth trauma, Tooth eruption (typically in children), Grinding teeth and gum diseases. But toothache in flight is a terrible combination. This is very rare problem but very painful as well. Few people experiences terrible toothache while flying, the major reason behind this is cabin pressure means your body pressure (sinus cavities) should be equal to the pressure inside the cabin. The cabin pressure changes very often while landing and take over.

For ear popping, Some people chew gums, candy so that the pressure inside sinus cavities and pressure outside can be maintained. Same in case of teeth, the air suddenly trapped inside the mouth and teeth get hurt very badly. Tooth decay and filling are the two main reasons for confining air into teeth.

It is important to differentiate the pain, so as to treat it well. May be it is sinuses pain because our upper teeth are exactly underneath our sinuses. In this condition you may feel pain in either side on nose, forehead, in upper jaw or teeth. This pain is completely curable by consulting with dentists.

Hope you will not face same problem in your next flights. Good Luck.

• Posted

I have flown with a severe toothache and it hasn't made it worse. I also once broke a tooth in flight!. That time I was taken antibiotics it is really good and these antibiotics got at Brighton East Dental Clinic. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.