Top front of ankle very flat

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my ankle (distal fibula) and had surgery 6 weeks ago. The minute I broke it the first thing I noticed was that the front portion of my ankle (where my leg meets my foot) was unaturally flat. Now after surgery, it remains flat. In comparison to my good ankle, it looks very different. When I flex my foot up, my good ankle has visible tendons that pop out. On my bad ankle, I attempt to lift up and nothing pops up and the foot barely lifts. Is that normal or does that indicate tendon damage? I’ve never pointed out to my doctor how flat this area is. Are all of yalls ankles like this? 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

did you start weight bearining? I am 8 weeks and still not able to walk with 1 crutch. it's painful. 

• Posted

Yes I did, started yesterday! I managed to walk without my crutches today but it’s slow, Frankenstein-ish type movements lol. I’m still pleased tho! 

I’m so sorry you can’t walk yet with one crutch! Mine hurts but I just kinda push on. It’s not unbearable. If yours is too painful, just take it slow. You don’t want to harm anything. 

Is your front ankle flat like I’m describing? My good ankle has huge tendons that pop out when you lift your foot up by flexing your ankle - my bad one has no tendons pop out! Is that the norm?

• Posted

That part of my foot also looks flat by comparison but I think that it is due to swelling of the area where there is not much flesh. After I elevate my foot and then bend it a bit, the tendons do pop up.
    • Posted

Thanks Anna! I’m hoping mine is just from the tendons weakening after such long immobility. My ankle is not very swollen so I don’t think that’s playing a factor 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.