Top of knee sticks out when bent..Help please..

Posted , 5 users are following.

In January, I was doing pivot exercises and really hurt my knee..I am 39. I noticed right away part of knee was sticking out (no longer round) . I iced and rested it 3-4 days and it got worse and I could not bend it at all.. I went to urgent care and they forwarded me to ortho. They spent about 15 seconds with me and assumed it was torn meniscus. Had MRI and they called and said didn't feel it was that and just bad sprain and do 8 weeks PT 3x a week. first few weeks were sooo hard as I couldn't bend without huge pain but pt definitely helped. They said I had patellar traction problem and it would take 6 months to fully go away. But still that "bone" or whatever sticks out has not gone down. It literally feels like someone has whacked me in the knee at all times, constant dull ache and still crunches and clicks when I swing back and forth. I went back 3 months ago and again spent 30 seconds on me and said I may have a bit of arthritis in it too so gave me a cortisone shot that did nothing but make me gain 10 pounds in 5 days! So here I am not knowing what to do....I'm depressed. Because I can't run or exercise like I used too (squats lunges etc)... and the pain is starting to go up my left side thigh again. But the main part is why can't they answer why this clearly sticks out? I wish I could post a picture so people could see what I mean....it's not round it clearly is pointed and hard like it's the femur and that's where the pain is..any guidance at all?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hope you can get this sorted out as you really need someone to look at it who knows what they are doing! It does sound as if the bone is partly out of place, and the young lady who comes to help me with the cleaning has this problem caused through years of doing "Canarian wrestling" which puts such a lot of pressure on one leg that in the end the bone is misplaced.  she started at age twelve, when bone was still developing. . .  Hers sometimes pops out and causes a lot of pain, and she physically manipulates it back in but I AM NOT SUGGESTING you do that!  It sounds as if the exercise routine with squats, pivotal exercises and lunges was just too much for your knee to take. . . damage to knees unfortunately takes ages to repair and I doubt if you will ever really be able to do that sort of exercise safely again. Well, to tell the truth, it wasn't safe even when the knee was in perfect condition!!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Do you think I should take their suggestion of next step going in with a scope ?
  • Posted

Go back to your ortho and tell them its still hurting. If you don't feel comfortable with them. Go for second opinion. Sounds like you may have damage your knee from lunges and squats.I would have a scope surgery even though they don't see torn meniscus. I had scope done 8 years ago and all surgeon did was cleaning around my knee. But if physio helps, then hang in there.

• Posted

Find the orthopedic group around you that works with your local professional and/or college sports teams.  They're the experts on sports/exercise-related injuries.  This ortho obviously can't help you.  Time for a "Pro From Dover".  (Google it on YouTube and see the hilarious "Pros From Dover" scene from the insane classic movie M*A*S*H when Hawkeye and Trapper John go to Tokyo with their golf clubs to do some surgery.)

• Posted

I LOVE READING YOUR reponses! film references again..or tv ! fab stuff..still waiting on your book! 
    • Posted

Many, many moons ago, I finished dinner and went to the family room only to find my 11-year old son sitting in my favorite spot on the couch.  When I told him to move over, he crossed his arms and declared:

"I MOVE FOR NO MAN!!!"

Eleven years old...quoting the Black Knight bridge scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I grow them young...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.