topamax?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone got any feed back on this med? Taking it for migraines but says it works for other things.. Any advice would be helpful. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Beware regarding potential cosmetic side effects. All loss/thinning is apparently quite common and you cannot then just stop taking it because you don't like the side effects. You still have to keep with it for a while, whilst you're weaned off it. 
    • Posted

Thinning? I'm scared to try new meds sad msmop what was your comment. Message me if you want.
  • Posted

Hi Tonya (again),

I just answered your other discussion.  I take Topamax for migraines.  What is it that you want to know about  this?  I agree with the one that posted to not stop using this w/o weaning it carefully.  I haven't experienced any hairloss or really, any side effects but then again, I take a lot of medications for various issues.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing what it is you exactly would like to know.

Warm regards,

Frustrated

• Posted

I take lexapro 10 mg, metoprolo 25 mg and ativan as needed just scared to try a new med.. I'm very dizzy/unbalanced in the morning upon waking just don't wanna add fuel to the fire.. I've read a lot of negative feedback on topamax.. 
    • Posted

And does it help your migraines? I'm on 25 mg for 1 week then 25 mg twice a day after that.. 
    • Posted

Tonya ~

I felt that same way in the mornings.  I now take most my meds at nighttime.  Are you able to do this.  Then the heavy dizzy feeling will happen in your sleep or may not happen at all.  I'd think about changing times with the meds.  Of course, you should  ask the nurse or if she cannot answer, ask the doctor if it would be okay to take at bedtime.

Just a thought smile

Frustrated

• Posted

That's how I started out with 25 mgs. It is now upped to 100 mgs/50 twice a day.  And yes, they have helped wtih my migraines.  I used to have to go to the emergency room at the hospital for them to give me some medicines via an IV.  I've cut that down and no longer go 3-6 times a month for the injections.  But then again, after my auto accident I had surgery on my neck and I'm believing that i had some nerves being compressed and after the surgery, it was seemingly taken care of.

Take care now,

Frustrated smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.