Topamax and bladder spasms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Topamax (150mg) for 13 years for migraines. About 7 years ago I started experiencing what I thought were UTIs. Long story short, they were not. It took 2 horrible years and a multitude of antibiotics to determine that the doctor “thinks” it may be intercysital cystitis. However, I recent read about bladder spasms being a side effect of Topamax!  I knew you could get kidney stones. And my back has been killing me as well. 

I have also had hair loss, a severe eye twitch which requires a Botox shot at least once a year and loss of memory. 

Has anyone else experienced any of this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy17460,

As a matter of fact I just had a Cystoscopy today. I have been taking Topamax for many years also and already dealt with the hair loss. By the way I have been using Rogaine and it is miraculous. I had been getting what I thought were UTI's several times a year for the past 2 years. I had a Cystoscopy 1 1/2 years ago and they found nothing. Several weeks ago I suddenly had blood in my Urine. I went to a Urologist and they did several urine cultures, blood work a CT scan ( which showed some Kidney stones.) Since I researched and found that they can be a side effect to Topamax I am currently weaning myself off of Topamax.  I am down to 25 mg. a day So today I had a Cystoscopy and was told I have Cystitis Cystica and Urethritis. I have been put on another antibiotic and will see what happens. I am hoping that eliminating Topamax will clear up everything. Topamax worked great keeping migraines away, but it is not worth this. Keep me posted. Good Luck.

Redkohn

• Posted

I had a cystoscopy done two years ago with my hysterectomy. Nothing was seen. Topamax is no longer working for my migraines but I am still taking it. My neurologist just had me fill out paperwork to get on the new drug, amiviog. But honestly, seeing all the horrid side effects of that one, I don’t want to start it either. I am thinking I am going to wean myself off the Topamax and see if I feel any better. I am so sorry you are going through this. I am angry and resentful feeling because I actually asked about this and was told they didn’t think it had anything to do with the Topamax. When I read the side effects just today on the website it was there. 
  • Posted

I have been on Top for 5 years and have just started these exact symptoms as far as bladder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.