Topamax...to start or not to start?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a history of migraines and recently started having ringing in the ears non stop for about six weeks now.  After going to an ENT, I went to see a neurologist.  After two EEGs, I was told I have a seizure disorder.  Not the convulsing kind, but didn't even know I ever  had a seizure.  Anyway, my neuro wants to put me on Topamax 25mg and gradually get up to 100mg per day.  He warned me of the cognitive side effects and said if I have them to stop taking it and he'd try a different med.  I'm a teacher and we are just starting the school year.  I cannot have memory loss, vision trouble, speech problems, etc. when I am in charge of over 100 students.  I haven't started taking it because I am scared.  Did the side effects come on gradually?  Or build over time?  I am going to get a second opinion.  Also, if I had never gone to the neuro for the ringing in my ears and headache, I would never have known about seizures, so weighing the option of taking no meds until I can get a second opinon.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I am a 50 year old female. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've just started taking Topamax, 50mg/day split between morning and night. Like yourself, I read horror reviews of the side effects and even my neurologist didn't recommend I take it. I requested them regardless and sat on the prescription for ages. After many days off sick from work and hours of agonizing pain in bed, I finally gave in and tried it. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be. I can still form a sentence coherently and word-find with the occasional brief pause for thought. There is definitely a slight blurriness that could be likened to having a large glass of wine, but nothing debilitating. What I do find most strange is that my emotions feel quite flattened since being on the tablets. I don't feel like I could manage to generate any emotional extremity at the moment, which is odd as I often experienced massive highs and lows throughout a day, laughing wildly one moment and getting frustrated by very little the next. I suppose it's not a bad thing to feel a bit calmer. I haven't had a migraine since being on Topamax and don't feel like I will - my head feels quite 'stable' - but it's definitely a medication that needs to be eased into gently. The side effects are real, but not as horrifying or debilitating as others have claimed; at least, not on 50mg a day anyway. Good luck.

• Posted

Glad to hear it's working for you.  Thank you for sharing your experience with Topamax.  I think I have convinced myself to give it a try and see how I do.  I don't take any other medications, so maybe side effects won't be as bad with not mixing meds.  He wants me to work up from 25mg a day to 100 per day.  Wondering if keeping a smaller dose wouldn't work for seizures.  Have an appointment in about a week and figured I'd start taking it before I see him.  Thanks, again, and I hope you continue to be migraine free.

• Posted

I hope this has worked out well for you. Just an update from me. I'm now on 200mg per day: 100mg in the morning and 100mg in the evening and I want to cry due to having not tried this medication sooner. I'm sure it will not work for everyone but it has been a wonder drug for me. The fuzziness has gone now that my head has become used to the medication. I occasionally get pins and needles in my feet for no reason and sudden bursts of head rush for no reason, maybe a couple of times a day for each. It's tolerable. Emotionally I've gone from flat to labile since the medication increase, which is odd. I got teary seeing a photo of a gecko earlier. No idea why. But again, it's a minor inconvenience. I have a lot more energy and my appetite has decreased, which is supposed to be a side effect of the drug, but also a bonus as my migraines used to tire me out so I would use food as a pick-me-up when I wasn't even hungry. I still get headaches, but the ones you can carry on with - the ones that can be eased with a nice bubble bath and head rub - but I haven't had a migraine since being on Topamax. I will still keep an eye out for bad side effects, but for anyone who doesn't try this medication due to horror stories, I would say anything is worth a shot if you're living in pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.