Topamax/Topirmate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone! Has anyone taken topamax/topirmate for fibromyalgia? If so, has it caused you to lose weight? Also, did it give you funny feelings like disoriented? Please share any info or opinions. Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I'm a 19 year old female and I took topamax for migraines. 

I had a genuinely bad experience with the medication but everyone is different. I didn't have an appetite on the meds. It gave me brain fog and made me feel quite out of it. Sodas tasted horrible when I took topamax and eventually sugar started tasting bad as well. It didn't prevent my migraines and when I got off of it all my brain fog was gone. I had just started taking 3 new medications with it and didn't know what was causing it but topamax was definitely the culprit. 

I have read positive experiences on topamax though. The side effects were just too much for me. 

• Posted

Yes, I was on it as well. It can make you a little foggy. I did lose weight on it though, it changes your taste for things and I definitely ate less at each meal. I felt a little sluggish on it, but it wasn't awful, I was not disoriented. It did help my migraines and nerve pain. Definitely read up, but it can be helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.