Topical antibiotic and steriod questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

My cataract surgeon prescribed topical moxifloxacin and prednisolone (1 drop 4 times a day for 7 days). I have been unable to clarify whether intracameral moxifloxacin was administered during the surgery as written in the operative note. Therefore I don't know whether to use the topical moxifloxacin drops. I'm assuming that it's better to use too much antibiotic rather than too little but would love to have any thoughts from the group.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You should have been given a sheet with an eye drop dosing schedule. I would absolutely use all the drops prescribed. Especially the antibiotics. You are at the highest risk of infection within the first week I think and you do NOT want an infection.

• Posted

Surgeons vary a lot in how they prescribe the various drops, how many, for how long, etc. I would follow the instructions of the surgeon and not try to second guess. The surgeon I had says it is important to stop taking the drops as per his schedule and not keep taking them until the bottle is gone.

• Posted

Thanks again! The chain of communication at this institution is challenging because even if I address a question specifically to the surgeon, the resident jumps in and tries to answer, but for one reason or other does not address my actual question. My new approach will be to redirect questions to the surgeon if the answer from the resident is inadequate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.