Topical Steroid Withdrawal - TSW

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I used Hydrocortisone 2.5% on my face for 2 years (including eyelids). I didnt know about TSW or I wouldnt have used it.

I'm a few days into TSW and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advise on how to deal with the burning and tightening feeling of the skin.

Does anyone know of any Consultants in London who can help? Also wondering if anyone has used wheatgrass spray and their opinions on it?

Even just to hear your experiences would be good smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You used it for two years? I only used it for a month and that was enough, but did the trick. That was a few years ago now. It has come back slightly but not as bad.

BTW what is TSW?

• Posted

Hi, yes I used it for two years as advised by mt GP. What was you using yours for? What came back? TSW is Topical Steroid Withdrawal
    • Posted

I used it for sun damage to my face. I had patches of rough skin on my head and face. Its not as bad as it was by far. It was like a skin peal, very very sore but worth it. I get the odd small patch coming back now and again and have it frozen off.

I get the odd patches on the back of my hands but I freeze them off myself with 'Dr Scholls Stop Verrugas Freezing agent' that I buy in a Chemist or even Tesco.

• Posted

Oh wow, I had no idea it could be used for sun damage. Mine was for the symptoms of aquagenic urticaria, doctors couldnt work out what it was so kept giving me steroid creams!! But failed to warn me about TSW!!

Now my aqaugenic urticaria has been diagnosed and I'm recieveing treated for that, but I cannot seem to stop using the steroid creams without becoming very uncomfortable, burning and itching (symptoms of TSW). 

• Posted

Its powerful stuff. Its like an acid and burns the skin. When I was useing it my face looked terrible. Red with blisters that were weaping.

I hid myself away while I was on the treatment. Very uncomfortable.

• Posted

Sounds awful!! Good to hear your not suffering any more. I assume you didnt go through and TSW as you only used it for a short period of time.
    • Posted

No I didnt have any symptoms of TSW thankfully.

I have it under control now, hopefully.

• Posted

I was doing an organic plain yogurt mask and then coconut oil when it was really bad. I'm still going through it but it's not as painful now and I'm just leaving my skin bare. Seems to heal the best bare! Also aveeno oatmeal I did too. Added water and made a mask of it. The coconut oil itches at first but if u can sit through the first minute with out scratching, it calms and feels good. Good luck 🙈

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.