Topiramate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ,  new here and I know this prob has been brought up before so sorry. But I'm having some trouble getting myself to take this pill.  I started having panic attacks last month. I'm taking this for migraines but I'm really conscious of how my body feels right now and any odd feelings make me panic and end up in the e.r.  Feeling bad for so long has got me here in this crappy place and I know I've got to take this but all the talk of side effects has got me stuck...I just can't get myself to take it.  Wondering if people could just describe how it felt.  I hear a lot of ..dizzy,cloudy,doped up..but then people add...it was the worst ever and horrible. I can take dizzy n cloudy( I'm there already really). But feeling like I'm gonna die ..not so much.   I'm taking 25mg for a week in the pm ...then 25 am/25pm for a week. then 25 am/ 50 pm for a week ...then 50am/ 50 pm in the end.  Three days after my first pill I'm starting escitalopra 10 mg once a day for the anxiety.....just need to start.....help!neutral

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I started taking topiramate in feb this year for migraines. For

me it didnt help the migraines at all. The side effects however

have been horrendous. Acid reflux which ive never had and have to take lansoprazole to control. Joint pain, tiredness. But the

worst side effect is word blindness. Im like the village idiot,

using wrong words, forgetting words, changing subjects halfway through a sentence and memory loss. I alson started to have

anxiety attacksIt has been a horrible few months but because

the neurulogist said to try them my gp didnt want to change it. I saw a different doctor and I started propranolol today which are for migraines and anxiety. Some people have had good results

with topiramate im not one of them and my life has not been

good since feb, I would have rather suffered the migraines. Good luck but if its making you feel anxious talk to your gp. I hated

topiramate, it poisoned my body.

didnt want to ta

• Posted

Hi i was on topiramate for 1 year and stopped due to the side effects which for me were mainly weightloss, pins and needles in my fingers, dry cough. Ive now been prescribed propanolol and imigran and im hoping these help as i was still having migraines with topiramate.
  • Posted

I have been on Clomipramine 50mg for years i take these for

panic attacks this tablet gave me my life back

i also from migraine and was put on toporimate starting on25mg a day working my way upto 100mg over a four week period this tablet made me feel very tired and cloudy and i kept loosing it

when i was having a conversation and had to stop talking which i found very embarrassing i decided to come off them which has took me another four weeks and i am now feeling more myself nit everyone has the same side effects some people have had a lot worse than me hope this helps

• Posted

Just be very aware of what the side effects are. I could kick myself because I always took the side effects with a grain of salt, that they were just protecting themselves and listing all the possibilities that probably would never happen. With most meds there's usually a long list of side effects and I've never gotten any so I've started just ignoring them, stupid on my part! I got very sick with Topamax...stomach pains, loss of appetite, weight loss, diarrhea, memory loss, problems with word retrieval, fatigue, blurred vission, tingling/numbness in fingers and toes, hair loss, there's probably more, but you get the idea. It's a very dangerous drug in my opinion. Try it only as a last resort. I can't wait to be off of it! I know I may gain much of my weight loss back but I'd rather exercise and improve my diet than lose my appetite and just not eat. I'm looking forward to having hair again! I'll take OCD anyday over what I've been through on Topamax! You have good reason to be nervous about taking Topamax, of course, this is just my experience and my opinion! I wish you the very best!!! 💓

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.