Topiramate for migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im on 50mg a day for migraines and have been for 2 weeks now. I have to have hormone replacement which was making my migraines worse so i said if the drs could control them i would continue with the hormones ( im 34) so thought it important to carry on with them.

My side effects so far...pop tastes flat, food tastes weird, tingly hands and feet, loss of appetite (probably due to poor taste), tired and i have been having pain in the right side of my tummy near ribs but that could be a pre existing thing not sure.

Migraines ...had one down from 4 a week so im pretty happy so far this outweighs the side effects.

Any others on these tablets and what are your thoughts?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I have just gone back on this medication having tried it a few years ago - I didn't like the side effects . However, my migraines have got worse so decided to give it another go. Whilst I have been prescribed 50g , I am only taking 25g - so far I am just feeling tired, and a bit low/depressed and light headed - no tingling yet but I am sure if I increased dosage I will get this too as I had it last time. I am 58 and have been suffering migraines since the menopause and hysterectomy - one every 4 weeks lasting 48 - 72 hours .

• Posted

Hi, I've been on Topomax for about ten years now. Migraines went from 6 or 8 a month to 3 a year. 50 mgs did the trick. Tingling in hands and feet initially but went away after a while. I lost weight. I don't drink soda because it's garbage, I prefer Vodka! Tired sometimes too, and occasionally stupid.

About two years ago headaches became more frequent so they increased meds to 75 and now 100 mgs. Less than the jump but Still mire than my best years. For me well worth the mild,side effects

• Posted

Im still on 50mg contemplating going to 75 as migraines creeping back in. Still having the tingling, soda taste not affected but seems flat. Chocolate doesnt taste too good which i suppose is a good thing.

Appetite hit and miss. Sometimes feel hungry but feel weird about eating but then other times not hungry anyway. Not been affected by tiredness or slow mind.

Seen some varying reports on it so not sure on if to increase up or not

• Posted

Ok so I have been on this medication for about 3 weeks now and I get the tingling hands and feet, dizziness, nausea, pop taste flat, etc. but one thing that I have noticed is that every time my doc ups my dose my headaches are worse for a few days then go away once my dose is steady for about a week. Anyone else have this problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.