Topiramate for migraines- side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’m just in the process of weaning off propranolol, then to introduced Topiramate, starting with 25mg at night. 

I have taken Topiramate before, but over 12 years ago when it had to be prescribed by a hospital consultant. 

My question is, has anyone experienced weight loss while taking this drug? I don’t recall it being an side effect I experienced last time, but reading up on this drug and the accompanying leaflet says it’s very common. I’m just wondering if the formula may have changed over the years? 

I would be grateful to hear of your experiences. Thank you 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,I tried topiramate last year didn’t help at all with my migraines and didn’t like the side effects 😢 I had a little weight loss,hair loss,pins and needles in hands,feet and face,felt really spaced out too,had to come off them,I’ve had migraines now for 12 years every single day has never gone away 😢 just started new medication last night and feel really spaced out already xx  

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jenny. What dose were you taking? Last time I took Topiramate I was on 100mg in two doses, it was a long long time ago I last took it so my memory is rather faded, but I can’t remember any side effects....... or maybe my loss of memory was a side effect 🤪

• Posted

To be honest I can’t really remember I know it wasn’t too high tho,I had memory loss too it seems like every medication I try for migraines the side effects are horrible 😢 I started on Gabapentin last night and feel really spaced out and dizzy 😵 have u tried that one ? Xx

• Posted

No I haven’t tried that drug. I’m just coming off propranolol at the moment, which was the only one I could take while breastfeeding. I am planning on starting Topiramate on Sunday. Apart from Topiramate 12 years ago I have mainly taken some form of beta blockers. I started with migraines when I was 16, I’m 45 now and only ever be migraine free when pregnant ( three babies) I am hoping once Mother Nature has decided to put me through the menopause they may stop altogether, I can hope anyway! 
    • Posted

I just wish I could find a drug which could help us all and be pain free,we can always hope 🤣 good luck on trying and let me know how u get on 😀 xx

• Posted

My migraines were hormone related - I started going through the menopause 8 years and my migraines were at their worse.

Alcohol  used to be the trigger and even after after 1/4 of a glass the symptoms would start - I avoided alcohol around my period and ovulation time.  Lack of food contributed and air travel/altitude 

I hope the topiramate helps - some people don’t get side effects so fingers crossed x

• Posted

Hi

I was on topiramate a couple of years ago - they did not help the migraines and they made me feel low in mood, tearful and agitated. I was intolerant of everyone. I did not lose weight. I have been on everything - propranolol and atenolol made my heart rate too low, amitriptyline made me lose concentration and clarity of thinking, pzitofen made me put on 2 stone in 3 months !! The GP eventually prescribed triptan injections which allowed me to function rather than being in bed throwing up all day and at one point a few years ago I was using them twice a week. I was having four to five migraines a week generally. I  saw a neurologist and he trialled Candesartan which is unlicensed and usually prescribed for hypertension or heart failure. It is the only thing that has worked and I have a migraine maybe every three to four months. I am even drinking alcohol again. 

I have my life back again after twenty years of suffering

Hope you get sorted out

• Posted

UPDATE

I have been on topiramate for a month now, starting at 25mg, now on 100mg per day. My migraines have gone from an average of 20 per month right down to 5 since I started on topiramate and will hopefully drop further now I am on the full dose. I have had some expected side effects, mainly tiredness, a bit of dizziness and pins and needles, but they are starting to settle now my body is getting used to the tables. I have been on these before, with good outcome, so knew I just had to get through  the first few weeks, and to be honest, it really wasn't that back, certainly better than suffering chronic migraines! As for the weight loss side effect, since starting topiramate I have lost 12 pound in four weeks. This is without trying as the drug totally zaps your appetite, you do feel hungry and will eat, but after a few mouthfuls your full, I guess it would be what people who have had a gastric band would feel like???? I am taking a really good multi vitamin, just in case it continues ( I do have a spare 36 pounds to play with anyway!!) I have been taking note of my calorie intake, including fluids and its averaging at 800-1000 per day.

But the main point of this post is topiramate is has really change my life with regards with my migraines and I can enjoy time with my little boy and do normal family things again xxxx   

• Posted

Hi I was recently prescribed Topimarate for chronic migraine. I have tried many different treatments over the years. This one was as much of a disappointment as most of the others. In fact it made life worse because I couldn't eat or sleep as well as having daily migraines. I lost 2 kg in one week so I stopped and immediately felt better.Although still with daily migraine which sometimes shifts with a triptan. However, one treatment that has worked for me in the past and has rescued me recently is 0.5 Rivotril (clonazepam) taken at night. I have chronic tinnitus and it helps with this too. I find tne side effects of this are minimal but everyone is different and has to find their own path in this debilitating condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.