Topiramite for alcoholism

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i have tried topiramate for alcoholism and has positive results. Has anyone tried?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

How many mgs? Side affects?  Are u drinking less? 

Thanks Shannon 

• Posted

No never used it.

Its main use is to prevent seizures, although it appears off label for some other conditions. Also used in obesity.

I would never use an antipsychotic drug, unless I became epileptic. Good if it’s helping you drink less. Too many side effects for me

• Posted

Do not understand at all. What is topiramite?
    • Posted

Hiya Robin

Topirimate is a drug used to prevent seizures or convulsions in epileptics.

However it is also used to treat various other conditions like obesity, stopping smoking, eating disorders. In other words, it can help with other conditions too.

Some recent studies have found topirimate can be used as an anti craving drug, like campral. Kelly seems to have found that she’s had positive results since she started taking it.

Off label, well my understanding of Off label means that whilst it may produce positive results, it’s not officially had approval to be classed and used as an anti craving drug in the uk.

Hope that helps

• Posted

Thanks! That is a lot! It covers do much. Amazing. I take garlic tablets, multivitamins, L Lycine and cod liver oil tablets.... 😀

• Posted

It's a bit like baclofen, it is very effective, but has many side effects, so it is very unlikely to be prescribed by a doctor. We may see some of these drugs hit the market in the next decade or so. Off label means, that the drug has been approved by NICE/NHS (or the relevant authority in a country), but for another use. This means it's legal for a GP to prescribe, but his book of medications won't mention alcohol. That doesn't stop him prescribing it, but makes it very unlikely that he will.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.