Torn ACL (13 year old)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Several months ago my 13 year old son got injured playing in a football match. He was in a lot of pain and there was quite a bit of swelling.

After several visits to the GP and the walk-in centre we finally managed to get an MRI scan.

Several more weeks went by and they rang my wife to tell her he had "a slight tear to his knee ligament". I rang them back to get more information and they read the report out to me: "a complete tear of the ACL". I have no clue why this wasn't disclosed to my wife but who knows.

So we were told due to the severity of this injury we would be given an "emergency referral" to Alder Hey children's hospital in Liverpool. Again weeks went by and nothing, despite several attempts to contact them we were just told to wait for the appointment. We got the appointment date though finally - October!

We have been given zero advice about this injury. They weren't even truthful about the extent of it when they contacted my wife. Since the original injury he has pretty much been living life as usual with the injury apart from he isn't playing competitive football for his team. He doesn't really complain about the pain and seems to be ok.

We have been given no advice on what he should and shouldn't be doing. If he could give football a try? Should we be stopping him going out with his mates over the summer? Should he be resting it? Can he do light exercise or jogging?

He is itching to get back I to his football and wants to get back into it. I've not told him yet that his first appointment is only October as it will upset him.

Any advice would be brilliant thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

time will tell . these injuries are tricky. it may heal on it's own. if it hurt bad enough he will let you know... if playing on his team aggravates it he will have serious pain. rest patience ice that's important....thats all that is needed at this time. many people think that surgery is the answer to these

injuries. it is not... give it time and rest . see another doc if ...you need further info and a update on the healing of the injury , is a good ideas in a few weeks. if he is walking on his own and no knee brace? mabe support to the knee will help . see a physical therapist. keep in mind football is a violent sport and he will have more injuries as he continues in this contact sport.

ok its not the end of the world ....i have 5 boys, i get it...your son will get back on track in time. these injuries take time to heal. swimming or just walking in water is an excellent therapeutic exercise for him now to strengthen the knee and the area around it to help support blood flow and healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.