Torn Ankle Ligamentsā€¦help! 😞

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had a nasty fall July 1, went over on my ankle. Went to emergency & x-rays show no break but assessment is torn ligaments. Have been in a walking boot and can only use crutches to get around.

Have been keeping it elevated in bed & only am only getting up to use washroom. Doc put me on Naproxen yesterday for the pain which works ok.

Pain is the worst first thing in the morning when having to get up to use the washroom.

I have been advised to take the boot off, start physio & go get an ultrasound completed.

Never having experienced this i will be honest: i am scared to do anything. I feel useless and have broken down crying a few times over this. I literally start shaking whenever i even think about attempting to do anything. I'm scared my ankle will just completely collapse. I feel sick to my stomach whenever i need to use the crutches. I am a 45 y/o man & feel like an absolute failure at how this has brought me down.

Is the above normal? Do things ever get better?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Saul. I recently had a nasty fall at the end of April. I ended up needing surgery to repair a separation and to fuse the ligaments on both sides of my ankle. the first 6 weeks were the hardest and most frustrating part of recovery for me. I was in a boot and not allowed any weight bearing for the duration of those 6 weeks. Tomorrow after 5 weeks of walking in my boot, and some light assisted walking in runners I'm hoping I get the green light to stay out of the boot and work towards normalcy.

its normal and hard to break from those feelings. But i promise it does get better!

Do you see a physiotherapist? Are you allowed to put weight while in your boot?

You'll experience some pain and stiffness first thing in the morning for some time im afraid. Also after being in active. Its a bummer but part of the healing. There are some light stretches you can do to ease the pain a little. But consult your doctor first. Chances are they'll suggest using a towel to pull your foot back to start. Nothing side to side. But again, ask your doctor!

The healing process is a long one and quite literally baby steps.

If you're scared of using your crutches, I suggest a walker. It's also great to use to get used to walking in your boot and once you get comfortable the pain will subside. Your ankle will tell you what's too much or not. But you have to get moving on it and not let the mental side take over! It's a process, and part of that process is light stretching and movement. It will be healthy physically and mentally!

Again, you should consult your doctor or PT before to guide you forward. Express your concerns.!

• Posted

Yes i am currently doing physio 2x/week and the physiotherapist is really patient with me. He said it looks like a grade 2 but small chance its a grade 3.

Regardless whenever i attend physio i literally shake in fear. im worried any weight i put on my ankle will just cause it to collapse and may ankle will snap.

Today marks day 16 since it happened and ive been using the crutches ever since. I just want to walk again!

He said its time to ditch the walking boot and im getting a support brace which he said is better because the boot has served its purpose.

it seems this will never end.

• Posted

well you're trending in the right direction then!!

you'll definitely feel much better without the boot!

I highly suggest first thing in the morning using the crutches to support you while walking. Until your ankle stretches. It will help eliminate the initial pain of the first few steps. Also, walking in shoes feels better than bare feet so keep that in mind.

The mental aspect is the hardest part now. But it should be all positive moving forward!!

• Posted

How do i know though that my ankle will not just snap when I attempt to walk on it? I literally have nightmares about this.

• Posted

hi! i had brostrom repair surgery after an ankle injury the doctor initially thought was just a sprain but turned out to be much worse. after surgery walking and physiotherapy felt incredibly painful. the road to recovery is not easy and it will be painful, and may even feel impossible at times. in the mornings i would practically fall over when trying to walk on my ankle. eventually though, it did begin to get better and healed. it took about a year which was longer than the expected 3 months, but it did heal. if you feel scared because of the level of pain you are in i would suggest getting an mri or a second opinion to help reassure you that it is not something worse. trust your doctor and physiotherapist but also go with your gut, if something does not feel right or it is too painful, make sure to let them know. it took 4 doctors and 2 therapists to properly treat my injury but in the end it was all fine, i promise you, you will be walking again soon, it is not forever.

• Posted

I agree %100 on getting an Mri done on any sprained ankle injury. Im a nurse and xrays miss breaks all the time. Swelling can hide a lot of things originally as well as it depends on the person reading the film. I had to get another xray for my injury and tgey found an avulsion fracture. So demanded an Mri as to make sure the ligaments were okay.

Turns out one is completely torn off.

i would get an Mri done asap.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.