Torn calf muscle

Posted , 4 users are following.

2 and a half weeks ago I tore my calf muscle. I went to minor injury unit at local hospital. They didn't need to do a scan. They diagnosed torn calf muscle and gave me crutches and told me to rest it for two weeks. Not sure but I think it must have been a Grade 3 tear as I could not walk on it without intense pain and only now can I actually stand on it. I've walked/hobbled about five yards at a time but it is very sore and tight.

After one week I went to GP to ask about recovery. The only advice was to do some stretches and try walking on it a little. I just wondered if I could find anyone who has been through this to see what steps they took.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Was it the soleus or gastronaemius muscle and where was the tear. Are you right or left footed? Advice also depends on how you did it, how old you are and what you are expecting to be able to do.

Generally give it 6 weeks before exercising on it and then take it very gradually.

Retired Hereford United FC doc

• Posted

Hello. I'm 42 years old. It's the gastronaemius muscle on my left leg and I'm right footed. I injured the calf sprinting after an American Football in a park. I know I hadn't warmed up enough. Stupid me. I heard what sounded more like a crunch than a pop and fell over. I could not put any wait on it without intense pain. I managed to hobble in pain into a taxi but wasn't able to go to a minor injury department until a couple of days later. I understand that it will take weeks to get back to normal but I really just wondered if anyone can give advice about getting back in my feet. I am worried about re-injuring it by doing the wrong things. I just want to be able to walk, so I can get back to work. 
    • Posted

Where was the tenderist point (inches above your sole when standing and foot flat? Can you plantarflex the ankle by more than 45 degrees when lying down yet? Did you get a sick note from your GP if so for how long? What is your work? 

Have you considered taking up the new walking version of real football 🇬🇧 (soccer) in future?

• Posted

The most tender point was and is halfway up the  calf on my left leg on the inside part of the leg. I had some good bruising below this area too. I've actually got pretty good movement in the ankle now. But I can't put much weight on it, hardly any really. 

The GP did not give me a sick note and I didn't ask for one because I had arranged to work from home. I have an office job. 

Walking football isn't for me thanks. I gave up on football in 2006. 

• Posted

The most tender point was and is halfway up the  calf on my left leg on the inside part of the leg. I had some good bruising below this area too. I've actually got pretty good movement in the ankle now. But I can't put much weight on it, hardly any really. 

The GP did not give me a sick note and I didn't ask for one because I had arranged to work from home. I have an office job. 

Walking football isn't for me thanks. I gave up on football in 2006. 

• Posted

Sounds like you may have to give up sprinting for at least 8 weeks. Any swelling persisting still at ankle, compare calf diameters too. Keep doing non painful non weight bearing exercises of ankle and knee. Is cycling pain free?
    • Posted

At times the Achilles can rupture where it enters the calf muscle. Did they check the Achilles?
  • Posted

I tore my calf muscle by running upstairs. I heard a distinct pop sound then had intense pain. I too was given crutches but hobbled around for a few days instead. I continued to work and took ibuprofen, paracetamol or codydramol. My calf took about a few days for the intense pain to subside and about 3 weeks to be able to walk without hobbling around. I was advised not to run for 3 months.

If your calf remains very painful you may need a second opinion as you may need a muscle repair.

• Posted

if your calf popped what grade of a tear rupture is it?

i just tore mine last Wednesday heard a pop went got a mri but not seeing the orthopedic until mid august but was told i was not a stat patient.hopefully that's a good thing

i use a wrap and a brace to move around better. i can walk very slow and up stairs. I'm about to start using kensio tape a well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.