Torn Calf Muscle Question

Posted , 1 user is following.

I got a G2 torn calf muscle in my right leg playing volleyball a week ago coming down from trying to block a shot.  I wasn't able to do my usual stretching before and while playing I felt a tug.  Stopped and re-stretched it and then kept playing until the actual tear.  This was just like a kick to my calf and a small pop.  Nothing like the G3 I had 8 years ago in the other leg.

Went to the Orthopedics/Sports doctor 2 days later after contacting the nurses health line right away when I got home from volleyball.  Did the R.I.C.E. until I got to the doctors.  He said it was a border line G1-G2 tear and did some physical tests.  Didn't have much of any pain, just the cramping if I extended my foot walking and such.  Also he said there was a tiny bit of swelling which I didn't even notice, also I didn't see any bruising at all.

With leg tests, no weakness at all and I did have a limp as well as putting weight while standing on my toes hurt a lot.  In fact it was the only thing that did hurt at the doctors.  Standing is completely fine and I was able to go up stairs normally (just not down as easily).  

He stated to start working the leg out at this point (it was now less than 48 hours since the injury) and that he could get me back on the court in about 3 weeks (I'm in no rush as I have several trips coming up and I'm not going to risk another injury before them).

So have been doing stretching and stuff since then.  It's now been a full week and I'm now starting to notice bruising on my leg.  I am now able to go up and down stairs normally, and people have said my walking is much faster now.  I'm doing 1+ mile walks a day and stretching isn't really causing me any pain other than the odd tug cramp.  

However, with the bruising, my leg just feels a dull soreness a lot more now, especially getting up in the morning.  Sitting seems fine.  Is this normal?  Am I over doing the exercises too soon?  Is the bruising showing up a week later normal?

Just curious if I'm pushing it too hard or not with the rehab?  The doctor said I really didn't need to get a follow up or have them do the rehab with my injury this time.  Unlike years before where I had crutches and it took a number of actual rehab sessions.

Thanks

(post is long as I noticed on other threads people tend to ask for more details, so tried to give as much as possible at the start here.)

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.