Torn cartilage in knee-need advice please.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had problems with my right knee for several months but have only just got the results why.When I first spoke to my doctor she told me to take pain killers but these didn't help much.I saw her again at the end of last year.I had an X-ray which showed up slight arthritis and I was referred to an orthopaedic consultant who wanted me to have an MRI scan to check further.I only got the results yesterday and have been told that I have a torn cartilage.

I am being referred for physiotherapy and have to go back to see the consultant in July to see how I am getting on.I am in discomfort all day and the pain and stiffness gets worse as the day goes on especially getting up and down stairs.Wheni am in bed many nights I have bad pains in my thigh which I have been told can be to do with my knee.They briefly mentioned about having an arthroscopy where they trim the damaged cartilage and it is a quick recovery.I need as much advice as possible please.

Thanks

Teresa

xxx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would ask for a 2nd opinion from an orthopedic surgeon based on the torn cartlidge diagnosis. Generally a scope type surgery can clean up and repair, short rest and small amount of therapy can get you back on your feet without pain
  • Posted

Hi Teresa

I have had this procedure in 2009 in my left leg. It is carried out via keyhole surgery. It's is not pain free and you will have physio afterwards. The knee will be swollen afterwards but it will be so much better in the long run. I was in a day ward but I was kept in overnight and was out just after 8 the next morning.

Hope this helps

Take care

• Posted

Not much info has been given to me yet about the op as we don't know yet if I will be having it but I can't see as it will improve on it's own.I am only 46 which I feel is young for these sort of problems so I would rather get it sorted sooner rather than later.
    • Posted

You can do meniscus or cartilage damage very early in life as activity is the villan and not age. About the only problem that might be forthcoming later on is arthritis but we are all very much subject to that just because of life style. I've known people in their 30s to have minor damage an the artritis starts. That's not a life threatening condition.
  • Posted

I tore medial meniscus in right knee in august. Hospital left me on crutches for 10 weeks. Once walking had constant locking of knee. In November left knee pain and instability started. Due to hospital being useless telling me I had weak muscles I paid to go private. Consultant examined me and requested MRI if both knees. Both had cartilage tears and bad!!. On February 19th I had bilateral arthroscopy while under general anaesthetic. Whole procedure took about 50 mins. I was worried for nothing. 5 weeks on I still have some stiffness but told it will get better in time plus I've got arthritis in both knees,contributing to stiffness. I would highly advise you to get a the surgery. Hospital totally neglected me so whole private route co's me 7000 pound. Please don't suffer x
    • Posted

How long after the op could you walk and get around quite easily?
  • Posted

If you are a candidate for arthroscopy that is great.  I had TKR 9 weeks ago next Tuesday .  I was told I was not a candidate for arthroscopic procedure due to extent of meniscus damage. One of my friends had arthroscopic was back playing golf in a couple weeks.  You are very luck!  
    • Posted

Is meniscus damage worse than cartilage damage.I read that meniscus is like cushioned pads in the knee and cartilage is like rubber covering of the bones.I am very confused.
    • Posted

Sort of like asking which is the best/worst auto....a Mercedes or BMW.....it depends on what you have and what to do if it's not running right. Your description is pretty much spot on. They are both vital to the function of the joint and both are real pains when damaged and heal in their own way andcat their own speed. They indeed serve different functions. Often times physical therapy and rest can repair both of them. However; when torn or severly damaged they require surgery, generally orthoscopic or as its call often times, keyhole, which is either 2 or 3 small incisions that heal quickly. Physical therapy or hydrotherapy is the usual follow up pos surgery and a 6 week recovery period is about normal. ( that's a total of 6 weeks including being back to full function. As far as pain levels, not even in the same part of the world with tkr. Stay with this forum....You will get all of the advice and help you need. From the tone of your posts I think you are getting the feeling that either of these are going to be much more debilitating and have much longer and more painful recoveries than is the actual case.
  • Posted

I had an arthroscopy 3 years ago & recovery is quick and works well as long as your knee does not have too much arthritis, mine did have hence I have just had a new knee I'm 8 weeks post op, pain at first excuuating but after 3 weeks eased & now it was worth it. I do need ant tension to my other knee & I am hoping for an arthroscopy on that. Go for it it sounds as if you will be ok with that.
  • Posted

My friend had a meniscus tear which was trimmed. I think the cartledge is more of the supporting bone structure. 
  • Posted

I was heavily bandaged but shuffling around the next day. Bandages were removed at hospital 2 days after op. Walked out bit stiff but think I was generally worried I'd feel pain. Had no pain wotsover. Was driving 6 days after both knees done. You've absolutely nothing to fear,if its only one of your knees you probs be great in couple of days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.