Torn hip tendon

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my name is Paula and it is help for my mother that i need.

She was in enormous amount of pain about 2 years ago and was given steroid injections. These initially worked until she tripped up a step. She was told that she could not have an operation (age 79, but mentally a 65 year old). Eventually she had an MRI scan and they decided to operate. The bursa was shredded and infected and had to be removed. The tendon was reattached to the muscle and bone. 2 of her glut muscles were torn and had to be resutured. There were spurs on the hip joint which were removed.

my mother recovered from surgery and started hydrotherapy - her pain was removed which was fabulous. She walked with a stick. We

1 week ago she twisted acqwardly and was in tremendous pain. She could not stand or walk. She was taken to hospital where she is now. MRI scan today.

my concern is 2 fold:

1. Will she ever be without pain? She is taking lots of pain killers at moment with morphin.

how can she control this pain.

2. If she has torn the tendon again - will she be able to walk again? They are saying they cannot operate again. In fact the new consultant never operates with this condition.

my mother is a very young 80 year old who i want to have quality of life,

any ideas?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Robo, so sorry your mother is going through all of this. How long ago was her surgery? If I were you, I would wait for the results of the MRI and the recommendations/prognoses of the orthopedic surgeon. The questions you ask cannot be answered until you have those results. I had two torn gluteal tendons after my THR, and I had surgery to repair them. The bursa on my hip was removed, and there was smoothing of bone on my greater trochanter - all similar to what your mom had done. I have recovered well, although I still have some pain and limited strength.

If something is torn, why couldn't they operate again to fix it, and why couldn't she see the surgeon who already operated on her? I am in the U.S., and I had to find a second orthopedic surgeon, who is an expert in soft tissue problems in the hip, to get my second surgery. My first surgeon, who did the THR, didn't believe that gluteal tendons can tear and he said no surgery would help with my problem. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about. 

I had to be extremely careful with my recovery from the tendon repair surgery. I had to use a brace for 24/7 for 6 weeks to remind me not to bend more than the 90 degrees. Also, I used walking aids that entire time, and for a long time after I stopped using the brace. It takes awhile for the tendons to heal enough so that they are strong enough to prevent tearing again from normal activities.

Good luck with the MRI results.

• Posted

Many thanks to quick reply. Results are back and very good news - she has not re torn the ligament. She has twisted a muscle not far from the tendon which will take time to recover. 

MANY THANKS FOR COMING BACK TO ME.

Kind regards

• Posted

Terrific! So what you can do is to help her to be as careful as possible as she recovers from...everything! She should walk very slowly and carefully and perhaps use walking aids. They are a good reminder to slow down and they give you help if you lose your balance.

Soft tissue injury can take awhile to heal. But then your young 80-year old mom should be enjoying life again!

• Posted

That's great news but as already said muscles can actually take longer to heal than bones, ask them if she can wear a brace, I have one for my knee and one for my thigh, it's taken two years to get atrophied muscles to gain some strength after a hip and pelvic fractures so time and exercise are the answer, hydro is great depending on where abouts in UK you are as to what's available.

I wish you both all the best

• Posted

THankyou for your comments. 

I will pass these onto my mother. 

Do you find use of a brace effective - how long did you wear this for? 

Many thanks

Paula

• Posted

Would you recommend she wears a brace? If yes for how long? 

Many thanks for your help

Paula

• Posted

Paula, my orthopedic surgeon had me wear a brace for 6 weeks following the gluteal repair surgery. I have attached a photo below of a male model wearing one on top of his clothes. I wore mine under my clothes for ease of using the bathroom. It was set so that I couldn't bend past the 90 degrees allowed. I wore it all the time except when showering. I could sit and lie down with it on. 

I think it was useful to help remind me not to bend past 90 degrees and to generally be very slow and careful in my movements. I was told not to do any physical therapy until after the 6 weeks, and then only very consecrative without pain and moving ahead only when I was able to do certain things regarding strength and balance.

• Posted

You should be able to touch the photo and see it larger!
    • Posted

I wore it mostly for the first year but now only when it's playing up, make sure it's a good one preferred from physio, the strength exercises help greatly for me,

• Posted

I think that's called a spica, this will have to be fitted so it does the job correctly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.